Video Screencast Help

Cannot backup SQL 2008 R2 using VMWare policy

Created: 01 Mar 2013 • Updated: 11 Apr 2013 | 10 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

When i try and run the back up for a specific server i get the following error.

01/03/2013 09:04:12 - end Application State Capture, Step By Condition; elapsed time: 00:00:00
01/03/2013 09:04:12 - begin Application State Capture, Application State Capture
01/03/2013 09:04:42 - Critical ascc(pid=30246) MSSQL: No supported VSS provider has been found on this VM. Unquiesced snapshots for SQL Server are not supported.
Status 5201
01/03/2013 09:04:59 - end Application State Capture, Application State Capture; elapsed time: 00:00:47
Status 5201
01/03/2013 09:04:59 - end Parent Job; elapsed time: 00:00:47
Required VSS component not installed in VM.(5201)

There are other servers in the backup job that are succesfully backed up.  so it is just one client.

The normal all drives backup works but just not the Aplliaction backup for SQL.

VMtools are up to date, netbackup is 7.5.0.4 client and master server.

I have searched for this error but cannot find anyone with a similar issue.

Thanks.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

Have you installed the Symantec VSS Provider on this client (and the NetBackup Client etc.)?

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

thejollyboys's picture

Mark,

Thanks, i have instaled the Netbackup Client, but not seen any install for the VSS Provider?

I can see an install for the Backup Exec but not netbackup?

Thanks.

Mark_Solutions's picture

The installer for this should be in you netbackup\bin\goodies directory - something like SYMCVSSProviderx64.iso

This needs installing (and reboot afterwards) to be able to do application VMWare backups

Double check you NetBackup_AdminGuide_MSSQL_Win.pdf as it covers everything that you need to do to get a VMWare SQL backup to work

Hope this helps

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

SOLUTION
thejollyboys's picture

Mark,

Thanks, i have other SQL server backing up using the same method they don't seemt o ahve the VSS bit intstalled?

Will it work wthout it?

Mark_Solutions's picture

It should really have the Symantec one to be sure you catch the application correctly

Do the others have any NetBackup Services (client and legacy network client) set to use a SQL sysadmin account?

The guides do say you should have the provider installed - have you confirmed that the others do actually capture SQL?

thejollyboys's picture

The others are also VMware clients with SQL installed on them, the application does not report any errors?

The netbackup services use the netbackup user and not the system account. The netbackup user also has sysadm access to the Database.

I have the guide and its a little confusing in one part it says you must have VMWare tool installed or Symantec VSS, page 191, and in another is says you must have both, page 126?

I also do not have the goodies directory as i downloaded the install from the Symantec website with no CD?

Mark_Solutions's picture

Where ever you installed NetBackup on your Master Server it will be there ...

The netbackup\bin\goodies directory actually on your Master Server installation

thejollyboys's picture

Thanks found it.  Will try and see how i get on, the reboot is a little disapointing, i'll have to plan that.

Mark_Solutions's picture

It may not say it needs one - so you cant test it first - but often it needs one even if it says it doesn't!

Keep us updated

thejollyboys's picture

Looking at the admin guide it seems the only pre req mentuoned is this :

"The NetBackup client software is installed on the computer that has the databases you want to back up.

In a VMware environment, the NetBackup client software must be installed

on the virtual machines that have SQL Server running.

■ If the SQL client is on a different host than the master server or media server,"

Not sure there is anyother mention of the Symantec VSS snapshot provider?