Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

cannot boot to windows after installing SWV 7.5.760 or 7.5.749

Created: 07 Aug 2014 • Updated: 11 Aug 2014 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

After I install either one of the version, I cannot boot to windows.

My solution: boot to safe mode and uninstall SWV, then I can boot to windows normally.

I install back 7.5.522 and everything work find now.

Now, I want a solution on how to install SWV 7.5.760 x64 version on Windows 7 successfully.

Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

Please provide a lot more information about your hardware and software. What hardware? What bios version?

Is Win 7 at SP1 with all updates installed? What antivirus are you using, and at what version?  Do you have any other security software or low level drivers installed? Any special logon software, or encryption software?

The filter driver installed by SWV works at a very low level, as do antivirus programs and various other security products, and your issue strongly suggests a conflict with another low level driver.

If you are able to install a plain version of Win 7 on this machine with no other software, and then install SWV, do you still get the same error?  If so, it may be a hardware-specific issue.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

ellery79's picture

My motherboard is ASUS B75M-A. BIOS version is 0212

Windows 7 SP1 x64 will all updates installed.

Antivirus is Norton 360 with latest version.

I don't think I have any other security or encryption software installed

Any suggestion is welcome. But, I don't think I have the chance to test on clean installed win7 on my hardware.

EdT's picture

Are you able to try with Norton 360 uninstalled?

If you have a spare hard disk you could try installing a clean edition of Win 7 on that.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

SOLUTION
ellery79's picture

Yes, thanks for the advice. It works now. Below is my steps:

1. Uninstall Norton 360 (keep user data while uninstall)

2. Install SWV 7.5.760

3. Install back Norton 360

Then, the process works seamlessly and it works!!

EdT's picture

Antivirus programs and the SWV filter driver both run at a very low level in the operating system, so occasionally conflict is encountered. It would appear that Norton 360 is one of those A/V programs.

If you are happy with the solution, please mark my thread as solution!