Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Cannot catalog tape in order to perform restore

Created: 28 Mar 2014 • Updated: 12 May 2014 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

Following on from my question about SIS, I need to restore 270GB of data to an SIS enable volume which has many thousands of files inaccessible.

When I tried to do this from my usual Backup Exec 2012 server, the transfer rate was about 20MB/minute and it was predicted this would take about 10 days to complete.  Obviously, I cannot tie up my tape library with this job so I though I would get our backup Backup Exec 2012 server running, copy all the data and catalogs over (I couldn't copy them all as there wasn't enough disk space) and then let that machine do the restore.

However, even though Backup Sets are listed fine and I can see the properties of the Backup Set in question, when I went to the Contents it went through Validating Encrypition Key Hash, Checking User access but no files are listed.

I then tried to Catalog the tape but it came up with an error (see attachment)

Can anyone help with this?

Operating Systems:

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

hi,

this could be caused by components of Backup Exec being only partially installed

Ensure that SQL Express 2005 Sp4 SQL Native Client is installed

do a repair of Backup Exec

run all of your live updates and push out the remote agent to your remote machines

IT Support 5's picture

I have checked all components are installed, done a repair of Backup Exec and run all live updates (don't see what pushing the remote agent has to do with cataloging a tape).

Still getting the same error, any other suggestions?

IT Support 5's picture

An additional note which may provide a clue to this issue is that I tried to verify the contents of the tape but it failed with this message:

(Server: "SERVER-RESTORE") (Job: "Verify 00001") Verify 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Validation failed because of invalid encryption settings. An encryption type was specified but an encryption key was not provided

I copied the data and catalogs from another server but the source server is Windows Server 2008 R2 and the server I am having the issue on is Windows Server 2003.  Both servers are on the same domain and should therefore be able to use the encryption keys.

pkh's picture

If the backup set is encrypted, then to catalog or restore from the backup set, you need to know the passphrase that was used to encrypt it. You either create an encryption key on the new server with this passphrase or respond to the prompt with it.

If you forget the passphrase, then you would not be able to use the encrypted backup set and there is no way to recover the encryption key

IT Support 5's picture

I don't understand why this is not working as, according to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22978, if I have moved the database from one media server to another, the encryption keys remain intact as the destination server has the same user accounts and is on the same domain as the original media server.

pkh's picture

Have you verified that the encryption key is still intact in the new server and you can use it to encrypt and decrypt a new backup set?

IT Support 5's picture

No, I'm not sure how to verify the encryption what is the method?

pkh's picture

Sorry. I left out the word "key" in my earlier reply. I was asking you to check that the encryption key exists in the new machine and that it can be used

IT Support 5's picture

Yes the encryption key appears under Manage Keys the same as on the original server, this is why I don't understand why it is not working.

pkh's picture

See whether you can use the key to encrypt and decrypt a backup.

If you remember the passphrase, it might be easier to recreate the key

IT Support 5's picture

I think I've found the answer to the problem.

The backup Backup Exec server doesn't have a very large hard disk so I could not copy all the catalogs over from the source but I thought I had copied all the relevant data from the date that I wanted to restore from.

What I did was to search in the source server catalog folder for anything that contained the backup name, in this case RemoteBackups.  I then copied all the files found to the backup Backup Exec server (I had to delete some other files to make space)

After this, I could see the contents of the catalog in question and have successfully been able to start restoring data.

SOLUTION