Video Screencast Help

Cannot create Backup Job in Backup Exec 2012 SP2 on Windows Server 2012

Created: 11 Jun 2013 | 8 comments

Hi There

When i try to create a Backup Job on our Windows Server 2012 Server i got following error:

"The Server was unable to complete the requested operation.
Data Access DataAccessBEServer
QueryResourceContainerWO7DayProtection: caught an exception: Timeout expired.
The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding..."

Thank you for your help

Tobias

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

As you are using SP2, would recommend to direct your query towards the Beta folks.

https://symbeta.symantec.com/login.html

pkh's picture

If you are not using the SP2 beta, then Windows 2012 is not supported.

Sush...'s picture

Hello Tobias,

"Cannot create Backup Job in Backup Exec 2012 SP2 on Windows Server 2012"

By this do you mean Backup Exec is installed on Windows 2012?? If Yes then  it is not supported.

You can not use Windows 2012 server as Media server even after installing SP2 of BE 2012.

Please refer to the following technote which has following lines in it:

An update to Backup Exec 2012 is under development and will provide support for systems running Windows Server 2012 using the Backup Exec Agent for Windows. Full Backup Exec server support for Windows Server 2012 will be available in an upcoming Backup Exec release.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196108  : Backup Exec Support for Windows Server 2012

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

TobiasEberli's picture

Thanks Sush

But with this i'm a little confused.
I thought the SP2 will be providing support for Windows Server 2012??

We've got now 4 installations of SP1a and 3 of them are working fine. Theres just one with a lot of problems.

Tobias

Sush...'s picture

Hello Tobias,

SP2 for BE2012 will provide support for backing up remote Windows 2012 server. But even with SP2 installing BE 2012 on Windows 2012 is not supported.

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Colin Weaver's picture

Both the tech article and the internal information against TECH188343 refers to the problem being caused when working with grouped servers in the BE console. You could however always work with individual servers, hence whist it is acknowledged by us and will (eventually) be fixed, it is a low priority.

If the OP is not working with groups then installing Backup Exec as a media server on Windows 2012 may well be the cause.

Just to clarify SP2 is well documented as only supporting remote agents on Windows 2012 and not a full Backup Exec media server. In effect this means that whilst we are in the process of testing Windows 2012 as a media server (for a future release) it is possible that all kinds of possibly confusing error conditions might be seen if you have installed Backup Exec 2012 (with or without SP2) onto Windows 2012