Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 05, 2011 01:32 PM

I am attemptintg to install Symantec Installation Manager 7.1.55 on a Windows box in order to create an installation package for Altiris 7.1 to do a offline installation. The documents that I have instructs me to first install SIM on a computer connected to the internet and once the the installation is completed, then I can use SIM to create the installation package. The problem that I's having is SIM is giving me the following error: "The product listed at "http://www.solutionsam.com/solutions/pl/symantec.pl.xml.zip is not a valid product." I downloaded a zip file called, "altiris 7.1\18968155_Full_LicenseMar2011.zip" which included the forementioned SIM. I don't know what the application is asking for at this point and need someone who knows a lot more than me to help.

• 2.  RE: Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 05, 2011 02:21 PM

Have you tried to manually download the ZIP file and extract it?  We need to make sure the ZIP file is not corrupt.  Mine is working just fine but we are probably pulling from different servers.

• 3.  RE: Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 05, 2011 03:12 PM

I downloaded it again from the "https://fileconnect.symantec.com" site and I still get the same error. It seems to be looking for a zip file and when I point it to the unzip folder containing the licenses for my products, it does nothing. Even when I point it to the zip folder containing the same files, nothing changes. I'm am at a loss..... I will try to download the license file again an see what happens in the am.

• 4.  RE: Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 06, 2011 08:03 AM

After going home and dwelling on this last night, the extension of the product listing kept coming back at me. When SIM errors out it is telling me that  it is looking for a Product Listing with a ".pl.xml.zip" extension. In reading some of the white papers on SIM 7.1.55 it mentions this type of extesion, but I have no file or folders with this type of extension. I took the zip folder that I was sent and changed the extension to reflect what SIM was calling for and it attempted to load the files but failed. So I think that my issue is with the file type that I was sent and not the actual SIM application. Does this sound plausable to anyone and if so, where might I get the correct file with the correct extension? My download site  carries only zip extensions.

• 5.  RE: Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 06, 2011 09:24 AM

I may have found the problem. I now know that the site fore mentioned downloads a file called "symantec.pl.xml.zip" which contains a file called "symantec.xml". I mannually went to the site and downloaded the file and when I attempted to open the xml file it timed out, also failed in when used in the SIM installation. It maybe our network that is the cause, so I will work from that angle. My only other concern is that on the original SIM installation there are spaces for a username and password, which I leave blank. Seeing that I was given this project to install with no documentatin other than a email link to the download from a person who has left the organization, could it be that I need to supply a username & PW to which I don't have? Can anyone tell me if a password and username is required to install the xml.zip file?

• 6.  RE: Cannot install SIM 7.1.55

Posted Apr 07, 2011 06:56 PM

Product Listing file with no further problem. You might have to put in details about your companies proxy server, which might require a user name and password.

Look in the "product listing" section of SIM for the URL of the product listing and cut and paste that into IE on the same computer. If IE can't download it, SIM probably can't either.