Video Screencast Help

Cannot open web application using jinitiator 1.3.1.28.

Created: 16 Oct 2012 | 16 comments

We have several application using JInitiator 1.3.1.28 with Oracle that doesn't open in Internet Explorer.

It looks like the Intrusion Protection Service is preventing the apps to load in a new window.

We have the latest version of SEP 12.1 RU1.

Any suggestion on how to debug?

I've looked in the envent viewer with no luck.

I've look in the SEP log but then again can't find anything.

Comments 16 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Did this stop working after installing SEP?

Have you disabled the SEP browser component (add-on in IE) to confirm?

Have you tried installing SEP on a PC without IPS to see what the result is when using the app?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Gilbert Voyer Montréal's picture

It work if i disable the browser component.

However, since i have many computers having the same configuration, i am looking for a more centralize way.

I've tried disabling the browser component in a policy.

On the client SEP window there is a red flag with a notice that the browser component is disabled, but in the browser the component isn't.

With only the policy, the apps doesn't work since the component ins't disabled as it is supposed to be from the policy.

Is there any way to force an update of the policy?

Do i need to upgrade to the version MP1?

.Brian's picture

You can right click the SEP icon in the task tray on the client and select "Update..."

It will force a check in and to get the latest policy.

Yes, it is always recommended to be on the latest version.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I would suggest you migrating to the Latest version of SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 and check if that resolves the issue.

However, 

Check this Article:

Unable to open Oracle related intranet URL on Internet Explorer browser when Advanced Download Protection feature enabled.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166379

Add intranet URL to the local intranet list of Internet Explorer browser 
  1.   Open IE.
  2.   Click Tools - Internet Options.
  3.   Go to the Security tab.
  4.   Select Local intranet.
  5.   Click on Sites button. 
  7.   Click Advanced.
  8.   Enter intranet URL in the section "Add the website to the zone".
  9.   Click on Add button to add it.
10.   Click on Close 
11.   Click on OK.

Also, Check this link on Creating Oracle related Exceptions.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH134383

Exclusions could be set for the following extensions:

.dbf - database file
.log - Online Redo Log
.rdo - Online Redo Log
.arc - Archive log
.ctl - Control files

Customers should contact Oracle Support for a full list of files and extensions that should be excluded from scans.

Note:  Wildcard variables such as * and ? are not supported by Symantec Antivirus or Endpoint Protection

IMPORTANT : Symantec does not advise excluding entire directories (such as the Oracle database directory and subdirectories) from scanning as this poses a potential high security risk. Additionally you should not exclude any temp files or folders as these can be a target for security risks.

Also check these Threads:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-12-breaks-oracle-jinitiator-forms-server-access

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/scan-exclusions-oracle

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

How and where can i get the latest update SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1, or later?

.Brian's picture

If you have your serial key for SEP you can download the latest version from FileConnect

https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Unfortunately, i don't have the serial key but someone else in our organisation had downloaded the latest client SEP 21.1 RU1 MP1.

However, it has the same problem.

I can deactivate the browser module manually for the apps to work, but the policy doesn't!

I'd prefer to use the policy since it centrally manages about 15000 pc's, and about 1000 of those pc's have the version 12 client and the rest have the version 11 client.

Any other thoughts?

.Brian's picture

Are you deactivatign the add-on in IE?

Also, you unchecked browser IPS in the policy?

Are you deactivatign the add-on in IE? Yes. When deactivating the add-on in IE manually, the apps works as expected.

Also, you unchecked browser IPS in the policy? Yes. However when unchecking the browser IPS in the policy and forcing the policy on a client, the add-on in IE is still active and the apps doesn't work. Also, after the policies have been updated to the client, i have warnings in the SEP window that the browser IPS has been deactivated as expected by the policy but doesn't deactivate the add-on in IE though!

This is one bug for the version 12 client. Tried on SEP 12.1 RU1 and SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 with the same results.

.Brian's picture

I would suggest a call in to support to see what they can do. It would seem that de-activating the plug-in via the policy should work, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

I would suggest you to perform the steps as Brian suggested.

See Enabling or disabling network intrusion prevention or browser intrusion prevention.

If that does not help, please Create a Case with Symantec Technical Support.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

• United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

I've created a new exclusion policy and entered all the suggested extensions. I've activated the new policy.

I've updated one client with the new policies, but the problem still remains.

How can i check if my new policy has been added to the client?

Thanks.

.Brian's picture

On client go to Help >> Troubleshooting

Check the Policy Serial Number here with what is showing on the Details tab in the SEPM on the Clients page

I have the serial number in the system log on the client also but don't know how to match that serial number to the policy on the server!

Is it possible to view the serial number of the policies on the server as well?

.Brian's picture

Yes, on the Clients page, look at the Details tab. There is a line that shows the policy number as well to  match with what you show on the client.

Brian,

Thanks, now i get it! smiley

I've added extensions listed previously in the exclusion policy but still have the same problem.

I'll try to add all the extensions for Oracle as mentioned earlier and try again.