Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 02:27 PM

I'm trying to use the profiler within VS2010 to profile a Silverlight application, specifically using CPU Sampling (as this is the only type currently supported for Silverlight).  My problem is that when I try to profile the application, I get the error:

Functionality needed by the profiler has been intercepted by another application.  This is frequently caused by security software installed on the box.  Profiling cannot continue.

I tried a resolution suggested on the MSDN forums (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstsprofiler/thread/85ebadf5-704e-4d1a-844a-be62a904e65a/) suggesting the following:

Using regedit, set the following registry value to 4:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SysPlant]

"Start"=dword:00000004

However, this registry key didn't even exist.  I created it and restarted, but nothing changed.  I don't have corporate permission to disable antivirus, but going by the MSDN post, that wouldn't have mattered.

• 2.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 02:33 PM

Please tell us what Symantec product and version is running on this system.

• 3.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 02:42 PM

SEP 11.0.6300.803, Windows XP SP3

• 4.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 03:01 PM

Try disabling the NTP feature and see if the profiler will run.

• 5.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 03:19 PM

That registry key is for Application and Device Control. 

If that registry entry is not present it means its not installed.

However you should try installing Antivirus and Antispyware only on the clients having this issue.

• 6.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 03:33 PM

I did try disabling NTP and the profiler still didn't run.

Vikram, this is on my own development machine and I am on a corporate network, so I don't have control over disabling antivirus or what gets installed.  Is there some tool I can run to gether more information for tracking this down?  It's very important that I be able to profile my code as we have a performance issue in a critical application.

I'm guessing that this is because Visual Studio is trying to inject its profiling code into the application, which SAP is preventing (as you wouldn't want programs to inject code/counters into an existing application).  The question is how to allow this for Visual Studio.  I don't have a different profiler to test (i.e. RedGate ANTS) but I wonder if they have the same problem.

• 7.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 27, 2011 04:00 PM

If you say That reg entry is not there that means Application and Device Control is not installed.

In that case I would suggest disabling Tamper Protection.

go to Device Manager-- 

Start-run -devmgmt.msc

View-show hidden Devices

Non-Plug and Play Drivers -- SPBBCDrv

right click and un-install it or disable it.

Then see if your issue gets resolved.

• 8.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 28, 2011 10:49 AM

As it turns out, the problem is with Securewave/Lumension Sanctuary, not SEP.  In case anyone comes across this in a search, though, the solution is the following:

Create a new registry DWORD entry called 'WormsMask' with value '0' in the HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SK\parameters and reboot

• 9.  RE: Cannot Profile in Visual Studio 2010

Posted Sep 28, 2011 11:26 AM

Thanks for the update and providing the solution.

Cheers,

Thomas