Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Cannot Restore from BKF file in BE2012

Created: 02 Oct 2012 | 6 comments

All,

I'm trying to do a restore from a certain BKF and I get this error and this is from the Catalog Log.  "No backup sets were found on the media with media label 'B2D000508' because the media is blank."  I know there is data in there becasue the file is over 10gb but I can't restore from it.  Any idea's would be great!

TIA,

Ben

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

SuperBrain's picture

Attempt to re-catalog the media, and see if thast works.

sqitis's picture

That's what I did and that commnet is from the Log file of the catalog.  This is what I get when I try a restore from that file.  Drive and media mount requested: 10/1/2012 4:04:51 PM V-79-57344-33037 - Error - Mount failed. Physical Volume Library Media not found. Media GUID: {933C1897-93AE-47B7-9C2A-1CCA2ECED821} Media Label: B2D000508 V-79-57344-33037 - Unable to acquire device for the specified pool and media Physical Volume Library Media not found.

Colin Weaver's picture

Have you been manually moving BKF files between servers or folders on a single server (using Windows Explorer)

Also did you have any form of Granular capability enabled on the original backup job (as if you did you need the IMG folder and not the BKF)?

Finally are you setup to automatically allocate disk space to BKF files instead of using space as the files are written to as this might explain the large file size containing no data.?

sqitis's picture

Yes I did move files around with explorer only before learning I should have not. Not sure on the GT and I think it's wanting a IMG folder but I'm not sure which one it needs.  Not sure on your last question, how would I check for this info or option?  Sorry to be a noob with 2012 but I'm used to the 2010r2 version.

sqitis's picture

As of now I can't restore from any dates becasue it needs that one BKF file and it's there but somehow it canot read it or says that there's no data in it.  Not sure what to do at this point.  Anyone have any suggestions?

johnfrankel's picture

Windows NT Backup Restore Utility for Windows 7 to restore data from .BKF archive.

1. Run the file NTBackup.exe from the folder.
2. In the Welcome to Backup or Restore Wizard page, click Next
3. Select Restore files and settings, and click Next
4. Click Browse. Locate the .BKF file that you want to restore, and click OK.
5. Expand the catalog, select the files/folders you want to restore, and click Next.
6. Click the Advanced button
7. Select Alternate location from the dropdown, and mention the destination path.
8. Configure the restore options accordingly.
           1. Leave existing files
           2. Replace existing files if they are older than the backup files.
           3. Replace existing files
9. Click Next, and then click Finish.

When! You’ve now restored the contents of NTBackup .BKF file in Windows 7.If anyone having any concern regarding there corrupt BKF file, here are the link which surely helps you all : http://msbkfrecovery.blogspot.com