Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Cannot run vCentre Discovery on SMP 7.1 SP2 using Discovery Wizard

Created: 25 Jun 2012 | 16 comments

I'm having trouble successfully running a vCentre "Discovery" using the Network Discovery Wizard on SMP 7.1 SP2 (R4).

The final error message I get is .........  “cannot load the connection profile specified for this task”.

 

The Symantec knowledge base - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH47053 -suggests this is due to a ‘corrupt profile’. I created a new one and it still fails.

 

I've attached the steps in detail of what I'm doing and have proved that I can access the vCentre in question using a browser https connection form the SMP server running the discovery. 

 

Any suggestions appreciated.

 

Comments 16 CommentsJump to latest comment

XR4's picture

Thunder_Chicken,

Did this used to work before, or is this a new thing that you are trying?  Does the same error message occur with other connection profiles?

SQA Engineer

Symantec

Thunder_Chicken's picture

This is the 1st time we tried it in anger and the same problem occurs whether using the default connection profile or creating new ones. I've created 4 new ones during testing, all witrh the same result.

XR4's picture

I need you to gather some additional logs for me.  I have attached to Registry files for you to import.  After you import them, you will need to restart Atrshost.exe and try and re-run the discovery.  This will create two logs in c:\, a network discovery log and a PPA log.  Please gather the logs and send them to me.  Also, please open the altiris log viewer while you run the task and gather the logs out of there from when you ran the task.  Thanks!

AttachmentSize
registryEntries.zip 750 bytes

SQA Engineer

Symantec

Thunder_Chicken's picture

Hi XR4,

Diagnostics logs attached as instructed. The a.log entries for the wizard\discoery start are from 27/6 08:25.

I did notice this during the wizard prep though which appear to be related to loading the individual credentials per protocol.

 

<event date="Jun 27 08:25:56 +00:00" severity="2" hostName="CHIDATAPP389" source="DelayLoadIItem" module="w3wp.exe" process="w3wp" pid="8256" thread="34" tickCount="589590"><![CDATA[Failed to delay-load item. Guid: b4c50bad-c8ba-483f-9c7c-77192704ca6f]]></event>
<event date="Jun 27 08:25:56 +00:00" severity="2" hostName="CHIDATAPP389" source="DelayLoadIItem" module="w3wp.exe" process="w3wp" pid="8256" thread="34" tickCount="589605"><![CDATA[Failed to delay-load item. Guid: b4c50bad-c8ba-483f-9c7c-77192704ca6f]]></event>
<event date="Jun 27 08:25:56 +00:00" severity="2" hostName="CHIDATAPP389" source="DelayLoadIItem" module="w3wp.exe" process="w3wp" pid="8256" thread="34" tickCount="589621"><![CDATA[Failed to delay-load item. Guid: b4c50bad-c8ba-483f-9c7c-77192704ca6f]]></event>

 

I appreciate all your support on this.

Ciaran

AttachmentSize
Discovery_Diagnostics_log.zip 154.72 KB
XR4's picture

Thank you for sending the logs, What type of security do you have set up on your installation and what user are you logged in as?

SQA Engineer

Symantec

Thunder_Chicken's picture

We'ure using Windows AD authentication. I'm using my own account via a desktop SMP Console session. My own account has local admin access on the SMP server from which the discovery is being run and it is also is a member of the Symantec Administrator role.

Marco Kastens's picture

I have the same problem with SMP 7.1 SP2 network discovery. When i start to scan a network device with snmp i get the same error:

"System.applicationException during discovery run: 'Cannot load the connection Profile specified for this task.' "

Do you already have a solution for that problem?  

 

 

 

 

Thunder_Chicken's picture

Stay on this thread. Marco. If we get a solution you'll see it. We've also had it raised as an incident with Symantec Support so will share any outcome from that too. 

XR4's picture

Marco,

Please send the logs as was given as instructions earlier in this thread.  Also, what security are you using for SMP?  Thanks!

SQA Engineer

Symantec

whiggy's picture

Please let me know if there is any resolution to this issue.  We are in the process of migrating from 6 and this is making me a bit wary.

XR4's picture

whiggy,

Please use the registry entries on this thread that I posted and send me your logs.

Thanks!

SQA Engineer

Symantec

XR4's picture

I am in the process of trying to repro this issue.  Thanks for the information on your security, Thunder_Chicken.  Can you try running the discovery as the local admin?  Thanks!

SQA Engineer

Symantec

Thunder_Chicken's picture

Loading Connection Profile issue identified and resolved thanks to assistance from Product Support.

 

1) When defining Credentials for Discovery

Do not Select “Only Me”, Select “Let me select which users” …………… ("Only Me" is only really applicable for RTSM tasks and jobs).

2) Click on "Let me select which users" and ADD “Symantec Administrators” from the roles list.

 

Thanks to all for their support and asisstance.

 

 

 

 

XR4's picture

Glad that the issue was resolved with the credentials!  Good Luck!

SQA Engineer

Symantec

Marco Kastens's picture

I have tried to change the credentials but i get the same error. Cannot load the connection profile.... I havealso tired to run the job as a local admin but i get thesame error. It is a scan via snmp v1 / v2

Thunder_Chicken's picture

Thanks XR4.

Marco,

Our tests were only with VCS and SSH - we didn't try any SNMP Discoverys so unfortunately I can't comment.