Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

• 1.  Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 12, 2011 06:14 AM

hi all,

i'm writing cause i have a problem with the upgrade of the clients on my SEP manager. Namely, i have 11.0.6 Manager running and i want to upgrade the clients to sEP 11.0.7 version. The manager have downloaded the installation package from internet by it self and i can see it in the console. When i added the package to upgrade the clients in one group (a test one, with 30 PCs) the upgrade did nothing for whole 2 days. Then i tried to create a package for manual installation of the client, but the manual installation on 5 PCs returned an error: Error 1334. The file 'wscsavnotifier.exe.......' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in the cabinet file Data1.cab.

I've downloaded the installation package from fileconnect and tried to install it on the same PCs, and the installation went smoothly. I've tried to create a new installation package from the console (where i would add the installation that i got from fileconnect), but the manager gives me an error because he already have the same package in the console (that it downloaded automatically from the web). When i tried to deleted the package, the manager doesnt allow that because this is the newest version of the client and cannot be deleted

Does anyone have a solution or recommendation for this?

• 2.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2011 06:30 AM

Updated,

Hi,

It would be best practice to have SEPM and SEP clients on same version.

Upgrade your SEPM to RU7 & then export the packages.

This happened because of the option is selected : Download Symantec Endpoint Protection product updates using a LiveUpdate server

This option downloads and installs client software updates automatically when users click LiveUpdate or when a scheduled LiveUpdate session runs. When disabled, prevents downloading and installing client software updates, even if another Symantec product runs LiveUpdate on the client computer.

If the LiveUpdate Settings policy specifies that clients download updates from a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager or Group Update Provider, the updates are in the form of microdefs. If the LiveUpdate Settings policy specifies that clients download updates from a LiveUpdate server, the updates are in the form of MSP (patch) files.

This setting lets you control client software versions. When this setting is disabled, client software can only be manually updated. When the management server downloads and processes patches, it creates a microdef, which automatically appears as a new package. The new package appears in the Client Install Packages pane. You can then select the package, and use the Upgrade Groups with Package feature for your Windows clients. 

As of now, please go ahead and upgrade SEPM to RU7.

• 3.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2011 06:33 AM

try copying the packages from the c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\intetpub\client packages\ \\client packages\ to other location .

• 4.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 12, 2011 06:37 AM

@TylerMK -You are right by saying

"The manager have downloaded the installation package from Internet by it self and i can see it in the console" 

the manager will download the latest package from Internet as you have selected Product updates in the Liveupdate tab.

Issue could be that the package was broken while downloading!! hence you are not able to export it too.

do a repair of SEPM if something corupted it should fix it by itself

• 5.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 12, 2011 06:55 AM

Hello,

have u upgraded the SEPM console from 11.0.6 to 11.0.7 ?

First you need to upgrade your SEPMto 11.0.7 and than deploy clients.

Please check out the below document,

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.7000 (RU7)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH165170

• 6.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 12, 2011 11:36 AM

thanks for all the sugestions guys, but nothing helped :((

I've upgraded the manager and tried to push the installation form him, but again after 5 hours i have no effect. No one of the clients is upgraded (the distributions time is left to be 0 in the console). I've also tried to create a package and manually install the new version, and again i had no success. It gives me the same error. I've tried removing the downloaded package from the internet that is in  c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\intetpub\client packages and manally add the package form filleconect, but again it gves me taht i have this verion allready in the manager.

any other sugestions pls?!?!?

• 7.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 12, 2011 12:29 PM

Hi,

Does your existing SEP clients have connectivity with SEPM ? do you see green dot ?

Are they updated with latest definitions ?

• 8.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 13, 2011 03:12 AM

yes and yes.

that was the first thing i've checked. The main problem is the package that the manager has. It doesnt work. Maybe as Rafeeq said it got broken while downloading form the internet, and i cant delete it and supstitue with the one that works. Can you give me some pointers of what is the correct procedure of doing this?

• 9.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 13, 2011 03:20 AM

did you try try copying the packages from the c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\intetpub\client packages to other location and importing the roght packages

• 10.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 13, 2011 03:35 AM

yes i did. that is the first thing that i've tried because it looked as the simplest, but it gives me the same error that i cannot dlete the packege from the console because it is the newest package. And when i try to add packege it says that the pkg already exists

• 11.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 13, 2011 03:41 AM

lets try this

go to https://fileconnect.symantec.com

download the new version..

when extracted you will find SEP folder

replace the sylink file 

push the package, 

does it run?

• 12.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 13, 2011 09:48 AM

Rafeeq

i acctually tgought of the same thing and have tried it already. BTW the solution works, but i dont want to use the push deployment tool for upgrade, when the manager can do it for me.

I've also tried to use the good package (from fileconnect) and add all the installation files to the already created folder in c:\program files\symantec\symantec endpoint protection manager\intetpub\client packages for this version of the client, but also i had no success. The next thing that i've tried is moving all the 11.0.7 pkg from the folder and forceing live update on the manager, but after the download process finished the packages werent downloaded.

I'm really losing my patence with this problem

• 13.  RE: Cannot upgrade clients from SEP 11.0.6 to SEP 11.0.7

Posted Oct 13, 2011 10:01 AM

can you try running upgrade.bat

from c\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\upgrade.bat

you can delete the package from DB, I have not triedit

check abhishepradhan's comment here

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/mr2-installed-mr1-client-installation-packages-wont-delete