Video Screencast Help

Can't register license file for Messaging Gateway 10.0.1

Created: 17 Dec 2012 | 4 comments

I'm trying to register license file, but keep getting error message as below:

Connection error 6: Couldn't resolve host 'register.brighmail.com'

I have an appliance installed with Messaging Gateway 10.0.1 and locally created LAN so it's not connected to our production network.

I've created a small network to connectio two appliances and a laptop that I'm connected to the appliance via SSH and via web browser to register.

And, this laptop is connected to internet via wifi.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

donk2000cl's picture

Hi John,

This is a typical problem of DNS, if you installed the appliance you can use the utilities under Administration to make a ping to this site (register.brightmail.com) this can solve the IP (216.250.24.63) this IP could be changed for security reasons.

Try using a know dns (like google) not internal.

Regards,

Carlos Espinoza

Art_P's picture

The Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG) must have access to the internet for registration and rule downloads (as well as transmitting email and some other functions). It sounds like your local LAN does not have internet access but your laptop does. It is the SMG appliance itself that needs to connect to register.brighmail.com, so your laptop having wifi will still not allow the appliance to register.

You can determine if your SMG appliance will be able to register using the command line:

1. Use nslookup to teest DNS resolution (as mentioned by Carlos).
  2. Use telnet to weakly test a connection.

The results should be similar to:

smg> nslookup register.brightmail.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   register.brightmail.com
Address: 143.127.103.14
Name:   register.brightmail.com
Address: 216.250.24.63

smg> telnet register.brightmail.com 443
Trying 216.250.24.63...
Connected to register.brightmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

Note: The ^] means to press CTRL+] to break out of the telnet session, at which time you can type quit to exit telnet. Unfortunately, telnet cannot use the SSL protocol, so all it can do is give a rough idea if you are able to connect or not (which is why I called it a weak test).

Regards,

Art

If you find a useful post, please use the "thumbs up" feature to mark the post as helpful. If your question has been answered, please select the "Mark as solution" for the post that best answered your question. Thank you.

ScitorHoneyBadger's picture

Is there really no other option here?  I have a SMG sitting on a closed network (internet connectivity is not an option).  I registered it before i took it to this closed network, but the license has since expired.  I have new license files since we renewed---but they are no good to this appliance. 

I guess I will call customer support and see how to work around this.  

donk2000cl's picture

Hi,

For ScitorHoneyBadger there aren't other option. SMG needs connection to internet, because the update of spam list (this occurs each 5 minutes) and the virus list are rescued from symantec. In the other side each time when the SMG do this process the system verify the license installed in the SMG. If you haven't internet connection this isn't your product.