Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 02, 2011 04:55 PM

We are running PGP Desktop email 10.1.0 and it keeps asking to update automatically, but it won't.The header read PGP Auto Update and then it had two arrows and an X. The info in the box read: A new version of PGP Desktop (version 10.1.1.10) is available for download.  The bottom left hand corner had a box  that said "More" in it   When ever we click more or anything around it, it does not update. 

Note: We are running on Windows 7 Professional.

Should it update automatically without us doing anything?  What should we click or do to get this to update?

Tim

• 2.  RE: Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 02, 2011 05:55 PM

This is from the PGP Desktop 10.1 User's Guide:

Checking for Updates
    Note: The option to automatically check for updates is no longer available in PGP Desktop, starting with version 10.1. To check for an update or to install an update, you must manually download the file.
    With the acquisition of PGP Corporation by Symantec Corporation, PGP operations is in the process of integrating with Symantec operations. When checking to see if there are updates, or to download an update, use the second download link if the first link does not appear operational.
    To upgrade PGP Desktop, do the following:

Go to the PGP License and Entitlement Management System (LEMS) and log in (https://lems.pgp.com/account/login). If the update for PGP Desktop is not available, then

Go to Symantec FileConnect (https://fileconnect.symantec.com/), select your language, and enter your serial number.
    Upgrading From Standalone to Managed PGP Desktop Installations
    If you have been using PGP Desktop in standalone mode and now will be managed by a PGP Universal Server, you must install a bound and stamped version of PGP Desktop over your existing, standalone installation. You must also complete the enrollment process. Your PGP Administrator will provide an installation file so you can install a bound and stamped version.
    Upgrading the Operating System Software
    If you are upgrading your computer to a new major release of the operating system (for example, on a Windows system to Windows Vista or on a Mac OS X system from 10.4.x to 10.5.x), be sure to do the following:
    1 Back up your keys and keyrings before uninstalling.
    2 If you have used PGP Whole Disk Encryption, decrypt your disk before you uninstall PGP Desktop.
    3 Uninstall any previous versions of PGP Desktop before upgrading to the new version of the operating system.
    4 Once you have upgraded your version of the operating system, reinstall
    PGP Desktop. Import your keys/keyring and, if necessary, you can then
    encrypt your disk.

• 3.  RE: Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 03, 2011 04:07 PM

Tom,

Ok, I tried (https://lems.pgp.com/account/login), but I couldn't find anything related to PGP Desktop Email.  So I went to (https://fileconnect.symantec.com/) and entered in 10 digit serial number that I had printed out from the Symantec Licensing Portal order details back in August, but it keeps saying that the serial number is invalid.  So I can't get any further on this site.  We can't find the serial number anywhere in the PGP application.  So what do I do now?  Is there a way to confirm that I have the correct serial number?

Tim

• 4.  RE: Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 03, 2011 04:17 PM

You need to contact Customer Care.

• 5.  RE: Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 06, 2011 12:07 PM

Tom,

Ok, Symantec generated a new serial number for us and we successfully downloaded 10.1.2.  However, when we went to install it over the existing version, we get a window that pops up that states:

"Good Signature

PGPDesktop10.1.2_Windows_Inner.zip

PGP Corporation Release Key release-key@pgp.com

0xFA85D00F

Invalid Key

3/22/2011 12:07:58 AM (Invlaid Key)

So how do we get around this problem?  I don't understand having an invalid key given that we purchased this back in July or August. 

Tim

• 6.  RE: Can't update PGP Desktop email 10.1

Posted May 06, 2011 12:14 PM

It sounds like it is telling you that you have not signed the signing key to indicate that you have good reason to believe that the key belongs to who it is suppose to belong to.  If you have the release key in your keyring, it should currently be showing as Invalid, and you can change this by signing it with your key.