Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

ccSvcHst.EXE - Application Error "0x00000000"

Created: 30 Dec 2007 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 12 comments
Alepsh's picture
Hi to all!
Please help me, i have SEP11 client with popup error:

ccSvcHst.EXE - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The memory could not be "read".

Thank's

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

Paul Murgatroyd's picture
where or when do you see the popup, have you tried MR1?

Paul Murgatroyd
Principal Product Manager, Symantec Endpoint Protection
Endpoint twitter feed: http://twitter.com/symc_endpoint

DavidD's picture

I have received similar errors on one system.

The machine was left on (and locked) overnight with applications running. In the mornings that followed, the ccSvcHst.exe process was consuming over 2 GB of memory. After clicking on the various errors that appeared, this process restarted at a more reasonable (10 MB) of memory. However, in the process viewer I could literally watch it grow and grow after that point--there appears to be a memory leak or other problem.

The Symantec Endprection indicated an error by putting a yellow dot in its sheild, but when I opened the client, everything was green and looked fine.

I am using Symantec Endpoint Protectoin version 11.0.1000.1375 (that's MR1) on this system.

Restarting the system seems to stabilize the memory usage of ccSvcHst.exe for some period of time, but eventually it starts growing again until it consumes the system.

The event log has errors like:

Event ID: 26
Application popup: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Event ID: 26
Application popup: ccSvcHst.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x6b0fbe4d" referenced memory at "0x000000a4". The memory could not be "read".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I look forward to a resolution to this issue. Like many others, I will revert to SAV 10 if the replacement protect is vastly inferior.

SKlassen's picture
I've occasionally seen this error, but in my case it's always generated when I do something to interrupt a running SEP process, like shutting down windows for a reboot while an AV scan or definition update is in progress.
MasterPC99's picture
Hi All,

I have one client system in a pilot group with the exact same error every time the system is shut down. We have re-installed SEPP 11 (11.0.2000.1567) twice without success. Any new information on this error?

Thanks

Ray Laureyns
nalindes's picture
Dear Sir/Madam,

When connected to the Internet and while browsing a message appears saying;

ccSvcHst.exe - Application Error
The instruction at “0x78144500” referenced memory at “0x00000000.” The memory could not be “read.”
click on OK to terminate the program.
click on CANCEL to debug the program.
When click OK, Norton 360 software icon at system tray disappears, and thereafter I can’t even reopen the Norton 360 through Programs. This problem occurs continuously from time to time while browsing the Internet.

Thereafter Microsoft Windows Error message appears saying:
Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Error signature
szAppName : ccSvcHst.exe     szAppVer : 108.1.1.10     szModName : msvcr80.dll
szModVer : 8.0.50727.3053     offset : 00014500

Error Report Contents
The following files will be included in this error report
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3fbe.dir00\ccSvcHst.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER3fbe.dir00\appcompat.txt

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

Please help me to solve this problem.

bcorelli's picture

NIS/NAV 2009.7 Windows 7 Compatibility Release and Patch - Issues & Hot Fix   [ Edited ]
Options    Options  

Symantec attempted to deploy a patch to update all users to the latest revision of our Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus software, version 16.7.2.10.  While for many this patch was deployed without a hitch, for others the experience was not as good.  As a result of the input collected from many members of this forum, we have an understanding of what area caused the problems and have a hot fix available to get your current patch stabilized:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821103237EN

We have decided to remove the current product patch and are quickly working on a new one that incorporates the changes made within the hot fix.  As soon as the new patch is available for downloading, we will let you know.  Our apologies for those of you that experienced problems resulting from this patch, and our many thanks to those of you who have patiently helped us identify the cause through your feedback and log submissions.

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-22-2009 09:19 PM

Message 1 of 1

Viewed 1,051 times

bcorelli's picture
I have the identical error & condition as nalindes (Pasted below) however my product is Norton Internet Security 2009.
It appeared after I was asked to accept Norton safe search or safe web (which I did) and the problem appeared shortly thereafter.
I used the Norton removal tool (which removed Ghost as well) I reloaded all Norton programs & ran a complete scan (no problems detected) but the same condition exists. If I leave the Windows error box without checking OK or Cancel the system runs normal, I just pull it to the bottom of my monitor but would like to resolve this issue.
Your help is appreciated
BC

When connected to the Internet and while browsing a message appears saying;

The instruction at “0x78144500” referenced memory at “0x00000000.” The memory could not be “read.”
click on OK to terminate the program.
click on CANCEL to debug the program.
When click OK, Norton 360 software icon at system tray disappears, and thereafter I can’t even reopen the Norton 360 through Programs. This problem occurs continuously from time to time while browsing the Internet.

Thereafter Microsoft Windows Error message appears saying:
Symantec Service Framework has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Error signature
szAppName : ccSvcHst.exe     szAppVer : 108.1.1.10     szModName : msvcr80.dll
szModVer : 8.0.50727.3053     offset : 00014500

My operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3.

dodx99's picture

I am having the exact same error as bcorreli  (just above).  I have Norton 360 version 3.5.2.10 running on XP svc pak 3.
Have had the 360 for about 7 weeks now, but error just appeared a couple days ago when I was asked to accept Norton Safe Web
Uninstall and reinstall did not help.
Clicking OK or Cancel on the error msg just disables the 360, so I too am parking it at the bottom of the screen.
There must be some better solution to this.
Any help would be much appreciated.
       dodx99

bcorelli's picture

see explaination and link contained below...
the hot fix worked just fine so far.

BC

bcorelli's picture

Also includes:   Symantec Service Framework Error

It only took seconds to fix after spending more than 4 hours of my Saturday..can I say thanks Symantec?????
Bob C

Symantec attempted to deploy a patch to update all users to the latest revision of our Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus software, version 16.7.2.10.  While for many this patch was deployed without a hitch, for others the experience was not as good.  As a result of the input collected from many members of this forum, we have an understanding of what area caused the problems and have a hot fix available to get your current patch stabilized:
http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20090821103237EN  

We have decided to remove the current product patch and are quickly working on a new one that incorporates the changes made within the hot fix.  As soon as the new patch is available for downloading, we will let you know.  Our apologies for those of you that experienced problems resulting from this patch, and our many thanks to those of you who have patiently helped us identify the cause through your feedback and log submissions.

Message Edited by Tony_Weiss on 08-22-2009 09:19 PM
dodx99's picture

Hotfix listed above seems to have solved my problem.
Thanks to all involved
       dodx99

ed_2304's picture

Anyone has the solution in my problem regarding the live update of my Norton 360v2. When i run the live update it appears to be operation failed. It starts almost 2 months and still searching the net for the solution of this problem. i have tried also to open directly the live update in the control panel but the error appears: The LiveUpdate control panel applet could not access LiveUpdate settings information. Error code: 0x00000000.