Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Jan 17, 2012 04:00 AM

Hi There

My Win 2008 Enterprise server has two NIC card; Subnet A, Subnet B. All my clients are in a domain with "Subnet A". When I install Symantec Manager, it somehow took  "Subnet B NIC" as its server. Because of this issue I could not find my clients using "Migration and Deployment". So I would like to change the Symantec Manager IP address inorder to install my clients using "pushdown" method.

Please Advice. 

Thanks and Regards, 

Arul .G 

• 2.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2012 04:13 AM

check this link

How to Configure a Symantec Endpoint Protection Management server with Multiple NICs

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH95183

• 3.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

• 4.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Jan 17, 2012 05:33 AM

Hi,

If you wish to change the IP address of existing SEPM then you should first configure your SEPM for multiple NIC's by following link provided below.

Which will help you in creating redundancy scenario on SEPM for NIC's.

After this you can easily switch between your IP's or you can simply remove the older one.

How to Configure a Symantec Endpoint Protection Management server with Multiple NICs:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH95183

•  
  • And if you only wants to change the Hostname of the SEPM then you can simply follow this steps:
    1. Create a new Management Server List with the new host name of the server
    2. Assign the Management Server List to the group which belong to that particular site
    3. Once the changes has been replicated between the replication partners make sure that the clients have the same communication settings
    4. Change the host name of the server
    5. Reboot the server
    6. After reboot run Management Server Configuration Wizard without breaking the replication partner
    7. Select the option Reconfigure The Management Server and complete the Wizard
    8. Login to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and Initiate replication

Note: Before you proceed it is strongly recommended that, you should back up the database.
    For best guidance see the document: 

• 5.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 17, 2012 07:25 AM

Hello,

To change the IP Address that clients use to communicate with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, create a Management Server List that has the new IP Address configured and assign that policy to all the groups..

1. In the SEPM console, click Policies
    2. Under View Policies, click Policy Components
    3. In the list that appears, click Management server lists
    4. Under Tasks, click Add a Management server list
    5. Give the new Management Server List a name (and description if desired)
    6. Choose HTTP or HTTPS protocol
    7. In Management Servers, on the right, click Add, slide over and choose New Server
    8. Enter the New IP address that will be assigned to the SEPM server.
    9. Check the port value for the SEPM server in the Default management server list   It would be listed as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8014, where 8014 is the port value.
      1. If there is a port value listed in Default Management Server List : Check Customize HTTP port or Customize HTTPS port and enter a port value.
      2. If the is no port value listed in Default Management Server List : Then confirm that Customize HTTP port is unchecked.

Repeat 7-9 if you want to reference the same server by host name of the server, for step 8, enter the server name instead of IP.
      10. Click on OK to confirm.
      11. Right click on the new management server list and assign it to the appropriate groups.

NOTE: The above steps may be performed before changing the IP address of the server. If the IP address has been changed before following this procedure, we would need to export a new sylink.xml file and update it on all the clients.

If this is performed before the ip address is changed, then the clients will be offline, till the IP address is updated.

VIDEO: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/changing-sepm-server-name-and-ip-address

Hope that helps!!

• 6.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Jan 17, 2012 07:53 AM

Hi,

Please refer the below kb which clearly explains all the aspect of moving SEPM which applies to your scenario also:

How to move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from one machine to another:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104389

Hope this will help you!!

• 7.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Jan 17, 2012 10:12 AM

As I can understand from your issue, you are using the Migration and Deployment wizard and not able to find any of your client computers,

Migration and Deployment  Wizard works independent of your SEPM, hence this issue may not be related to the SEPM at all.

As an alternative you could use the PushDeploymentWizard available in the Tools folder in the installation CD/DVD. Copy this folder over to another (preferably non 2008 server) and use the ClinetRemote.exe file from that computer. Note that you will need to create the required packages first and then also copy them to the same computer.

• 8.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 17, 2012 10:26 AM

Hello,

"Thumbs up"  to Avinash.

I agree with Avinash completely. The Suggestions provided are worth a Try.

• 9.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Jan 17, 2012 10:52 AM

I'd suggest changing the NIC bind order within Windows as a test if this will prompt the migration wizard to work.  It sounds as if the wizard is only able to use the first NIC in the list.

MS article below on how to change the bind order (note in Win2k8 and higher you'll have to hit the 'Alt' key after step 1 in order to see the 'Advanced' menu option):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564

How to change the binding order of network adapters

1. Click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl , and then click OK.

You can see the available connections in the LAN and High-Speed Internet section of the Network Connections window.
    2. On the Advanced menu, click Advanced Settings, and then click the Adapters and Bindings tab.
    3. In the Connections area, select the connection that you want to move higher in the list. Use the arrow buttons to move the connection.

• 10.  RE: Changing IP address - SEP 11.0 manager

Posted Mar 01, 2012 06:11 AM

Best option you can create a management server list.

Add both IP with communication port and give priorities.