Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 22, 2011 12:14 PM

I want to change (upgrade?) the installation of SEP/SEPM on the server from version 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

I have uninstalled the 11.0.5xxx SEP client and then uninstalled the 11.0.5xxx SEPM.

Upon installing the 11.0.6xxx SEPM I am stuck at the screen to 'Create a custom Web site (recommended)

The default is to use TCP Port 8014

But I get a message saying:

TCP Port 8014 cannot be configured for the custom

Web site because is is currently in use by some other

application. You must choose a different TCP port or

disable the application that is using this port before

continuing.

Seems that uninstalling hasn't released the TCP Port 8014.

How would I go about doing this, I would rather do this than choose a different port.

I would prefer to keep things as standard as possible.

• 2.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 22, 2011 12:38 PM

In your IIS is there any other application that is using port 8014

If youe see the SEPM directory on 8015 delete them reboot the server and then try

• 3.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 22, 2011 12:49 PM

You didn't have to uninstall SEPM 11.0.5xxx at all.  You can upgrade directly to 11.0.6

Migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0 RU6

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH131653&locale=en_US

• 4.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 22, 2011 04:27 PM

Hi

by uninstalling the the old SEPM you lost the communication with the clients which is based on security certificates created at each SEPM installation.

So, keeping the communication port at 8014, thinking that it is good because is the the standard one, is pointless, you can use any free port you like, you won't see your clients coming back to the SEP Manager regardless the port.

If you have all required files for a disaster recovery, you should restore your RU5 installation and then migrate to RU6 in the proper way (by the way, now you can downoload RU7):

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102333&locale=en_US

If you cannot recover your SEPM RU5, you will need to reinstall the clients or replace the sylink.xml file.

Good luck,

• 5.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 25, 2011 06:10 AM

So really I'm going down the route or 'it's fubar' 'remove and reinstall'

I already tried a repair and that didn't work.

• 6.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 25, 2011 06:11 AM

It's only a test lab, so it only has two clients, which I just planned on unistalling and reinstalling.

One reason for changing to the new version was that the old version has got screwed up and wouldn't work properly.

So I didn't really want to upgrade it, I just wanted to remove it and start again.

• 7.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 25, 2011 07:38 AM

It is good that you are doing those things only in a test environment, hence I strongly suggest you to get in confidence with the Disaster Recovery procedure in your test environment to be prepared if you will need to do it in production.

The DR procedure allows you to fully reinstall your SEPM, with or without the DB, without losing the connectivity with the clients. Clients can be auto-upgraded, remotely reinstalled, etc. no need to go there, locally.

• 8.  RE: Changing SEP/SEPM from 11.0.5xxx to 11.0.6xxx

Posted Jul 25, 2011 07:59 AM

How to manually uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11.0

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH102673

and it's parent article in case you have any problems with other versions:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96924