Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Changing Timezone and setting date back on 5220 Appliance ..

Created: 19 Apr 2013 | 3 comments
Søren Holm's picture

Hi All, - setting back time on a unix platform have previously been a "handle with care" situation with gradually changing the time by decreasing or advancing the clock over longer time but I find my self in a situation where I need to change the timezone fro UTC to (US eastern Standar Time (UTC-5 hours) on a running 2.5.2 appliance unit ..

Have any on tryed this without complications ..and what are the steps involved ?

brgds

Søren

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

A timezone in UNIX is just a offset of the UTC time.

Setting the time and time zone is documented at page 37 in  : http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6345

Stop Netbackup before changing the time zone and if you want to be super safe reboot afterward.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Marianne's picture

Not sure how that is going to affect NBU timestamps - including images (if the appliance is a master server).

Every single entry in /usr/openv/netbackup/db/error log as well as logs in /usr/openv/logs/ is logged with unixtime timestamp.

Might be a good idea to leave NBU down for at least 5 hours when you do that.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Mark_Solutions's picture

A time change in my experience has just on side effect for de-dupe - whether appliance or msdp

That is that if the t-logs end up with a date in the future, becuse you have set the clock back, then it doesn't understand them

This causes de-dupe to stop working - however, dont panic too much - when it does it regular house keeping (usually at midnight) it will tidy things up, get straight again and just start to work.

My advice is to not change it by more then 24 hours and do it at a time when you can afford to loose the appliance for up to a day if the tlogs get confused - nothing you need to do about them apart from wait!

Hope this helps

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.