Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Changing WWPN on 5220

Created: 10 Jan 2013 | 3 comments

We will be swapping out a 5220 that acts as an FT media server. We would like to take the new box and change the WWPN to match what the zones show. Makes the swap faster.

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

Probaply not possible. The WWN which is deflect from the WWN is hard coded from the factory.

Depending on the HBA manufacture you may be able to change the WWN but I have my doubt.

I suggest you just update the alias  (if using one) instead. Then the zone should work right away. I would mean this is considered best practice.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

Andrew Madsen's picture

Not necessarily considered best practice and no the WWPN is not always hard coded at the factory. ProtecTIER from IBM uses spoofing so if a head needs to be replaced it brings in that configuration. Pretty slick if you ask me. That was why I was hoping there was something similar in the 5220.

The above comments are not to be construed as an official stance of the company I work for; hell half the time they are not even an official stance for me.

CRZ's picture

I would suggest opening a support case and requesting an official response from Symantec.  (Then, assuming it isn't too sneaky of an answer, tell us what they told you!)

bit.ly/76LBN | APPLBN | 75LBN