Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 25, 2011 11:42 AM

Greetings,

I have a Citrix Presentation Server 4.5 x64 farm, with Rollup Pack 6 installed.  During the past few weeks our users have begun to complain about performance.  Things are "slow", they say.

During my troubleshooting, I found that PINGing from a Citrix server has response times averaging between 300ms and 800ms, and peaking at 1800ms with about 50 users on the server.

With no users, the first PING is 6ms, and the rest are <1ms.  When I reach 15 users, the PING time goes to 30-50ms or so.  And then it climbs with each user that is added.

I found that running SMC,EXE -stop immediately corrects the problem.  All PING times are <1ms after that.  Performance seems to be better at that point.

So I updated my Symantec management server from 11.0.5x to 11.0.6RU3.  My servers with 11.0.5002.333 definitely exhibit the problem (that is where I discovered the issue).  So I updated to 11.0.6005.562 and it seemed to be fixed on a couple of servers, but then I installed it on more servers and it is not fixed.  The latest client, 11.0.6300.803, does not correct the issue.

I have a call into support.  Just curious of any others experience this issue, and if so, what resolved it.

Regards,

Justin

• 2.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 25, 2011 12:41 PM

Have you implement the following document?

Best Practices for Symantec Endpoint Protection on Citrix and Terminal Servers

www.symantec.com/docs/TECH91070

• 3.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 25, 2011 01:27 PM

Yes, as it applies to our environment.  Also, memory and CPU are fine on our servers.  Performance is not an issue there at all.

Justin

• 4.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 25, 2011 02:06 PM

What features are installed? I'd want to see a SEP Support tool log from the machine as well

• 5.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 25, 2011 03:53 PM

AntiVirus and AntiSpyware (On), Proactive Threat Protection (Off), Network Threat Protection (On)

Are you referring to the .SDBZ file that is created from the SEP support tool?  I have it - how shall I get it to you?  I hate to post it due to its sensitive contents.

Justin

• 6.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 26, 2011 10:19 AM

Hello,

Could you check which process is using the highest CPU usage?

&

Please check the article below:

How to prepare SEP clients on virtual disks for use with Citrix Provisioning Server

• 7.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 31, 2011 09:22 AM

Network Threat Protection is the issue.  Once it is disabled, my symptoms disappear immediately.  So for now it is disabled in my Citrix environment.

Justin

• 8.  RE: Citrix / SEP 11.0.x / Performance Slowdown

Posted May 31, 2011 09:26 AM

CPU and memory have never been a problem.  No single process was ever high for very long.

These are individual server installs - Provisioning Server was not used.

Justin