Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Aug 16, 2011 12:34 PM

We are trying to build in support for the Motion Computing CL900 but are having issues with it. The machine has an Atom processor with the Intel SM35 chipset and an SMSC Lan 9500A USB to NIC card. The machine will boot into the WinPE 2 PXE, but will continually say Retrying the DHCP connection, indicating that the network drivers are missing. I have gotten drivers directly from the manufacturer of the card and from the manufacturer of the machine but the PXE boot will not recognize either one. I have also tried the Linux PXE but the machine will not even boot into that. It will go through the loading rootfs, but as soon as it jumps to ready, it just sits there. I am assuming that this is because of the Atom processor, and I do not believe the Linux Kernel has support for that processor or chipset built in. I have tried the Linux PXE versions from DS 6.9 SP3, SP5 and DS 7.1, but none of those will boot that machine. I have not been able to try any other versions of the WinPE PXE. Has anyone ever used Atom machines with Altiris? I am trying to find out if it's possible to support these.

Damon

• 2.  RE: CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Aug 17, 2011 02:23 PM

Make  sure the net drivers are for Windows Vista or Windows 2008.

• 3.  RE: CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Aug 17, 2011 02:30 PM

I did verify the drivers were compatbile. They are universal drivers that are compatible with all Microsoft OSs past XP.

• 4.  RE: CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Aug 18, 2011 12:17 PM

hopefully the network you are connecting is not the 169... IP range. I believe such addresses are blocked.  There is a way to remove that check. let me know if that is the case.

• 5.  RE: CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Aug 19, 2011 06:30 PM

The network we are imaging in is a 10. network. We know it's an issue with this particular device as we have about 20 other models we image and they all image fine.

• 6.  RE: CL900 and PXE Boot

Posted Sep 08, 2011 04:27 PM

If you don't compress the PXE image it might be too big.  You need 512MB RAM to run a compressed PXE 2.1.  But I dont know what it takes for the Linux boot.