Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Posted Nov 30, 2012 04:10 PM

Just recently I've upgraded my SEPMs to 12.1 RU2.  Previously I was running 11 RU7 MP2 and had used the Client Deployment Wizard numerous times with no issue. Since upgrading to 12.1 RU2 I have attempted to push the new 12.1 RU2 client to a few test machines using the Client Deployment Wizard but none have been successful.  From what I can see in the client's System Logs it appears the issue is related to the VPRemote Install Bootstrap Service.  Below is the full error message.

"The VPRemote Install Bootstrap Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."

I've done some searching on this error message and found a few dead ends but nothing that really clears up what the issue is.  I thought it may be related to UAC but read otherwise.  I see that it mentions the interactive service needs to be allowed, but I haven't identified exactly how to make this change.

If anyone else has come across this and has a resolution for it I would love to hear how.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 30, 2012 04:24 PM

can you try running the tool directly as per this document

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103042

• 3.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Posted Nov 30, 2012 04:48 PM

What is the OS to which you are pushing, and have you successfully pushed to that OS before?

Windows 2008 Server disables interactive services by default. This Microsoft page discusses the "The %1 service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly." message.

I don't know if this is relevant, but are you using silent, unattended or interactive for the installation settings?

Exporting client installation packages
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81164

Note: On those computers that run the 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, you deploy the client installation packages with the silent or the unattended option. These 64-bit operating systems include Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 (including R2), and Windows Server 2012. Only use the silent option for the packages that you deploy to computers running the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2008. When you use a silent deployment, you must restart the applications that plug into Symantec Endpoint Protection, such as Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes.

sandra

• 4.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Posted Nov 30, 2012 05:37 PM

Rafeeq,

I tried your suggestion and it appears like it worked for me.  One thing I noticed between SEP 11 and SEP 12 was that running the SEP 12 push was much much slower than what the SEP 11 use to be.  Did anyone else notice this?

One other issue I noticed after the push completed was that the install ran successfully but it required a reboot to complete the uninstall of SEP 11 and then the install of SEP 12.  When the machine rebooted it never successfully booted back up.  I tried two machines and experienced the same issue with both of them.  Has anyone else see this problem?  It actually acted kind of weird and powered off my machine completely and left the Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock all on in a weird light flickering state.

Thanks,

Mike

• 5.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Posted Nov 30, 2012 06:02 PM

create a custom client install setting and select remove all previous logs adn reset client server communication when you create the package.

• 6.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 03, 2012 09:23 AM

Hello,

I would suggest you to check these Articles which may assist you in such cases.

Preparing Windows operating systems for remote deployment

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO80805

Also, check this Thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-message-ive-never-seen

Hope that helps!!

• 7.  RE: Client Deployment Wizard doesn't work in 12.1 RU2

Posted Dec 03, 2012 10:17 AM

It appears Rafeeq's solution has resolved my issue.  Although it does concern me that its much slower on the push of the client now in SEP 12 than it ever was in SEP 11.  I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this same issue?