Video Screencast Help

Clients not showing in SEPM after upgrade to 12

Created: 10 Jul 2011 • Updated: 11 Jul 2011 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have installed SEPM 12 on a new server, and imported my 11 database. The clients and servers have automatically recieved the upgrade from 11 to 12. I checked the "troubleshooting" tab, and it shows the correct SEPM server, and that they are connected and have the latest policy.

The SEPM home screen shows the number of protected devices, but when I go into Clients, only some of my clients appear. It doesn't even show clients without SEP. I also tried to "Add Client" from SEPM and push the install, but even then it did not show in the Clients view.

I think it might have something to do with AD, because I had imported the SEPM 11 database, and also imported the OU's from Active Directory. Also, I am still running SEPM 11 while the clients migrate, and SEPM 11 does show the clients (but disconnected).

Is this an issue with the database, OU's, or SEPM 11 and 12 both running?

 

Thanks

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

Optimus.prime's picture

Hi,

 You are Right ,

Uninstall the SEPM 11and then .

 

Go to SEPM 12 Export the communication settings from clientstab->policies->communications tab . . Replace the sylink file .

Soylent's picture

There is one problem, when I try to delete any of the OU's, the "Delete" option is greyed out. I can't find any way to delete/reset the Clients view, and I worry that if I delete the domain settings, the clients will lose their connection to the SEPM and I have to run the sylink replacer

 

 

kavin's picture

Well if you are Using AD & imported OU's then all your client should be listed in the OU in the SEPM, but if they are not visible then definitely there is some issues with AD synchronization, hence you can deleted the OU break AD synchronization, re establish the synchronization & then re import the OU through AD, I think this should work.

SOLUTION
Soylent's picture

This worked. I deleted all the OU's (I had to delete the root OU's, the sub-OU's were greyed out) and added them back, and now it shows all the clients :)

VKalani's picture

Try changing the View to client status....in SEPM, and see. sometimes it's just that the default view  does not show all the clients.

-VKalani