Video Screencast Help

Cold backup using BESRO 8.5.2 SRD error

Created: 27 Apr 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I'm having a bad experience in using BESRO 8.5.2 cold backup
what i'm about to do is that to backup my Exchange Server 2007 + Domain Controller in single box

using the Recovery CD console, I select the whole set of my Windows Server partitions including the Dell Utility partition and then back it up into my USB HDD
but then when I was testing to restore the backup I'm confused as I couldn't see any .SV2i file which is always created during the hotbackup

and then here comes the dreaded error message:

Error: E0BB014B: Volume Not Found

can someone please shed some light in this matter ?

Thanks,
AWT

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

marcogsp's picture

Albert -- The cold imaging process does not create an index file; more commonly refered to as the sv2i file.  The images created will still restore nicely, but you will be better off to restore them one at a time.  There is no need to reboot during the individual restorations.

The E0BB014B: Volume Not Found error is most likely due to a know issue with restoring Dell utility partitions.  This was supposedly fixed in version 8.5.3

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318049.htm

You could also restore the system without the Dell utility partiton and it will still work fine.  I've done this with many Dell systems without fail.  I really don't find the Dell Utility partiton useful since discovering BartPE and UBCD for Windows.  In fact, I no longer create a Dell Utility partiton when building a server on Dell hardware.

Symanticus's picture

Great, Thanks Marco

Therefore I’ll do it again today with new software and network backup to my Backup Server.
the destination server has smaller LUN (5x 400 GB RAID-5 HDD = 1.4 TB) unformatted, while the old server is only 4x500 GB RAID-5 HDD = 1.5 TB

one question though:
I have selected all 5 partitions on my current Dell Server (Dell Util. Part, OS, DATABASE, LOGS, APPS) it would then create 5 different files for each partition.

and when I'm about to do restore, I select one file Dell to restore and then repeat for each partition files as oppose to select one .sv2i file ?

I'm confused here.

/* Infrastructure Support Engineer */

marcogsp's picture

Albert -- It is possible to select all 5 partitions and restore them in one try, but the process can get confusing.  Especially true when restoring to different hardware.  I haven't had much luck restoring multiple partitions in one try except when restoring to the original system with an intact partition structure.  That is why I restore multiple partitions one at a time.  I find it makes partition resizing a bit easier, but that is just my personal preference.

Since you are restoring to an array with 100GB less space, there will be a need to select the option to resize a drive for  at least one partition.  The Dell Utility Partiton can remain the same size since they are very small to begin with.  You have better knowledge as to how much space is actually being utilized on each partition, so you will have to judge which of the other partitions get resized.  The general rule of thumb for resizing partitions (Thanks again Jon_R)  is:

<source partition>/6 + <data on partition>

For example, an 80GB partition with 60GB of data would need 80/6 + 60 or 73.3GB of space at a minimum in order for the restore to succeed.  Sometimes the restore will succeed with less space than calculated especially if the source partiton is large and it's utilized space is around 10 percent..

In your case, I think it would be best to restore the partitions in the order you have them listed, one at a time.  Even if an sv2i file was available, they are only intended for restoring to the original system the images were created for. Sv2i files are not intended for Restore AnyWare scenarios  They can also be troublesome when restoring to smaller drive space.

For any partitions needing to be resized, select the option to rezize the drive and specify the size in megabytes.  Also select the option to restore the original drive signatures, even though the drive letters may look different from the original system in the image file name.  Also, please make sure that your OS partition is marked as Active for booting.  Of course, you only need to reboot after all the partitions have been restored.  No need to reboot between partition restorations.

Please let us know how the process went when you finish.

Symanticus's picture

Marco,

OK, based on your guidance,

in the restoration step, i shall add the partition file manually one by one by clicking "ADD" button starting from:
1. Dell Utility partition
2. Drive C
3. Drive D
4. Drive F
5. Drive L

and then selecting the original drive signature to make sure that when the OS boot, the partition naming still left the same CDFL.

marcogsp's picture

Yes, that would be the plan.  Supposedly the common drive letters (C D E) do not need the original drive signature restored. I do this anyway for all my drives, especially when drive letters like F and L are among the drives to be restored.   If all goes well, there will be no need to change any drive letters after the system boots

Once you ADD the selection, then of course you use the EDIT button to make the necessary option selections and partition size changes.

Symanticus's picture

Well, yesterday  night, i had a drama !

simply because I'm using BESRO 8.5.3 SRD cold backup --> fine
but with the restore i need to do something different.

--restore the C D F L drive first selecting following option and then ADD the Dell utility partition the last !
Verify recovery point before restore
Partition type
Set drive active (for booting OS) * C Only
Restore original disk signature
Restore Master Boot Record (MBR) * on Dell Utility partition
drive letter
--reboot the server

if i do the original plan by having Dell utility partition as the first entry, only Drive C can be added ?!?!?! soo strange and frustrating.

SOLUTION
marcogsp's picture

Thanks for sharing the solution.

I'm sorry the original order I suggested didn't work well, and you deserve praise for working out the solution yourself.  Well Done Albert!!!

Symanticus's picture

No worries Marco,

This is such a hard lesson with BESRO 8.5.3 and Dell Power Edge 2950-III