Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

compliance accelerator RPC searching issue

Created: 27 Sep 2012 • Updated: 16 Nov 2012 | 10 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

We are just upgrade EV & CA 8 to EV , CA 10

EV Server name: EVMA01

EV DNS Alais: EVCNAME

CA Server Name: EVCA01

in the dtrace , we saw the CA is trying to connect the EVCNAME and said cannot connect directory service.

however, pointing to the CNAME was used since EV 8.

We are using Windows 2008 R2 , not sure any related to firewall or remote management,

Those RPC error, mostly on the index volumn, however, the support said our index is ok, not related to the index issue.

Any ideas

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

TonySterling's picture

Hello Kenneth,

Just to clarify, you upgrade EV 8 to EV 9 and then to EV 10? 

Did you switch hardware for EV and/or CA or were the upgrades in place?

What is the version of EV on the CA server?  Does it exactly match the version of EVMA01?

Also, you will want to be sure the Firewall is disabled on EV and CA or follow the instructions in the Install Guide to allow them to communicate.

Kenneth Yeung's picture

Yes, we upgrade to 9 and migrated to the 10  in different harddware

In the Search, we still have The RPC server is unavailable(0x800706ba) for some archieve

TonySterling's picture

Could you clarify the other questions?

What is the version of EV or EV Runtime on the CA server?  Does it exactly match the version of EVMA01?

Also, you will want to be sure the Firewall is disabled on EV and CA or follow the instructions in the Install Guide to allow them to communicate.

Thanks!

Kenneth Yeung's picture

Yes, the CA we have installed the EV 10.0.1 binary on the CA.

also we had already turn off both EV and CA firewall to isolate the issue.

TonySterling's picture

Do you see Events in the app log?

Could you dtrace the accelerator service trying the search?

Kenneth Yeung's picture

What we did, verify the index and no error.

Not all serach have issue, only some date have issue. we ran the dtrace, the dtrace have all internal email address so cannot post here

In the event log..

Event ID 297

APP AT - Customer ID: 2 - Error processing Vault to Search off the queue: Searching Vault Thread - worker thread for index server: 1 (0)

Vault ID: 256696

Number of tries: 5

Cause:The RPC server is unavailable. (0x800706ba)

Event ID 42086

APP AT - Customer ID: 2 - Warning:

Some items could not be searched:

Archive: 'New XXXX'

ID: 14C6C676CBAF6A34FB494DE04F16EABF01110000HKEVCP01V

Index Volume: 1245

Search ID: 8741

Also run the dtrace,

TonySterling's picture

So taking CA out of the equation for a minute, are those index volumes ok?

Any errors on the EV Server?

Since it only affects certain searches it probably isn't going to be anything in CA so we need to investigate the actual indexes to make sure they are online and not in a failed state.

Kenneth Yeung's picture

We opened a case to support, the support try to check the index not in the failed state in the SQL.

but seem that the support have no other ideas. Already applied the hotfix.

But they still think the index should be ok, actually I want to try to rebuild index.

But it will take maybe more than 1 week that all CA cannot search.

I am thinking how around upgrade the index to 64bit, because I read the docucment, during upgrade, the old index still can access and search.

Any other ideas and comment or workaround. THanks

TonySterling's picture

If you do an Index rebuild it will actually convert it to a 64 bit index. 

Yes, I would recommend that you upgrade the index to 64 bit because like you say, it is still searchable.

Kenneth Yeung's picture

Eventually, the support help us reinstall the EV binary on the CA server and seem fix the RPC issue, now have other index issue

SOLUTION