Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Configuring 5220's with Sol Zones utilizing virtual HBAs

Created: 04 Jan 2013 • Updated: 09 Jan 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Has anyone ever setup up an NBU environment with Sol Zones clients where virtual HBAs were utilized? If so how do you assign the HBA or drive or whatever.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

Not sure how the 5220's are related to Solaris Zones and where virtual HBAs fit into the picture?

Please help us to understand your requirement?

How to backup zones is explained in this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65627

Extract:

A NetBackup client in the global zone can be used to back up the entire system. A full restore of the global zone restores everything in the global zone and the local zones as well, as long as the respective root file systems of the local zones were included in the backup. Make sure that the databases in local zones are offline before starting the backup from the global zone.

If you need online, hot backups of databases in local zones, you need to install NBU client in the local zone.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Andrew Madsen's picture

Sorry I have been discussing this with so many people lately I get a bit brief.

Scenario:

Solaris 10 servers that have Oracle and DB2 machines running in local (non-global) zones. We wish to back them up to a 5220 that has FT Media server enabled over a SAN. We wish to do it this way because we are ultimately pushing to a 5020 and if we used a media server in the global zone we do not have enough processor and memory to do deduplication locally so we want to push to an FT media server so it will perform that duty.

What we have done:

We have installed NetBackup 7.5.0.4 on the local zone. Virtual HBA technology is being utilized on the global zone so we will have multiple unique devices seen on the host. We have assigned two of the devices to the local zone utilizing the steps outlined in this document for tape drives. Modified of course because the document covers media servers in a local zone.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH162994

The Local zone sees the devices yet when the nbftclnt process runs we get this in the log:

01/04/13 12:55:45.906 [FATClientMgrService::init] Client successfully started (FATClientMgrService.cpp:324)
01/04/13 12:55:46.052 [FATClientMgrService::hasSANClientLicense] Found SAN Client License
01/04/13 12:55:46.061 [DiscoveryTaskThread]  DiscoveryTask Thread 8 Startup
01/04/13 12:55:46.061 [PipeCleanupTaskThread]  PipeCleanupTask Thread 9 Startup
01/04/13 12:55:50.071 [DeviceInquiry] failed on /dev/rmt/0cbn; Not owner
01/04/13 12:55:54.072 [DeviceInquiry] failed on /dev/rmt/2cbn; Not owner
01/04/13 12:55:54.164 [FATClientNotificationHandler::updateClusterStatus] EMM Server Name = l5bkptst01.hewitt.com
01/04/13 12:55:54.183 [FATClientMgr_i::listAllDevices] No FT Devices discovered

The devices are /dev/rmt/0cbn and dev/rmt/2cbn. The Global zone sees them as good devices. I have a feeling that the reason the "Not owner" issue is there on the local zone is because the global zone sees the device and actually "owns" the HBA involved.

The above comments are not to be construed as an official stance of the company I work for; hell half the time they are not even an official stance for me.

Mick Scott's picture

Are you sure you can configure SAN client in a local zone ?

TECH162994  states ...  "Local zone support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server, media server and Bare Metal Restore client (as described in the Bare Metal Restore Administrators Guide)."

Andrew Madsen's picture

I missed that part I guess. Still I think it is possible (I hope). I guess I will wait to see what backline has to say before putting this one to bed. They are discussing it.

The above comments are not to be construed as an official stance of the company I work for; hell half the time they are not even an official stance for me.

Andrew Madsen's picture

OK I have an answer. Not the answer I wanted but an understandable answer:

We do not support SAN Client in Solaris Local Zones. We did give it a try back in May 2008. 

SAN Client uses uscsi to direct SCSI commands to the tape drives connected to it. USCSICMD opcode is used with ioctls and this opcode is not supported in non-global zones. The calls fail with “Not owner” error. 

GlobalZone
bash-3.00# ./uscsi
Inquiry command was successful

Non-Global Zone
bash-3.00# ./uscsi
Inquiry command failed with errno = 1, Not owner

SAN Client would work fine if it is run from a global zone, but, that defeats the purpose of using local zones. 

We contacted our SUN contacts and finally heard back from them in May 2009 saying that it is an inherent limitation on Solaris zones and will not be changed. 

So now we go to Oracle and see if theere has been any movement since 2009.

SOLUTION