? on configuring BE for MS SQL where database is on SANs
- BE 2012 running on Windows 2008 R2
- BE 2012 RAWS + Enterprise Option
- MS SQL 2008 R2 (standard) running on Windows Server 2008 R2
- SANs used for master, temp, and db (size 200 GB)
Separately, we backup the entire Windows 2008 R2 server where MS SQL 2008 R2 is installed (i.e. only has C: drive)
The database files reside on attached SAN and not on the C: drive.
Due to size, we want to only backup SQL and not everything on the C: drive and not everything on the SANs
When configuring BE 2012 for SQL backup, it sees MS SQL and the several databases and their correct sizes.
Questions when setting up configuration:
- Do we need to include the C: drive to be backed up (though no database here) or just check the box to backup the MS SQL databases?
- Do we need to check the SANs drives too, or will BE automatically read the database files from them ?
- If we include the C: drive and the SAN drives, and check the SQL option, will BE only backup the database or will it backup all of C: and all of the SANs?
If the databases were smaller we would just try various options and see, but due to their size and the time required to backup, it would be a lengthy trial and error process.
Thank you in advanced for your help,
-- Bill --