Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Connecting BackupExec2012 to ReadyNAS1500

Created: 05 Jan 2013 | 9 comments

Hello folks,

I am having some difficulties connecting Backup Exec to ReadyNAS1500 as disk storage.

Here is the scaerio:

CONDITION:
I have configured NAS to our NT domain.
Recently purchased Backup Exec2012 installed on the file server.
I have added the NAS server as a Linux server to Backup Exec.

ACTION:
When I add the NAS server as to Backup Exec as a share using \\ServerIP\Share
I get the error - "BackupExec doesnot have read and write permissions on the remote computer on which the remote share is located. You must give Backup Exec service account read and Write permission.

- I have provided full access to all the domain users in the file share where I want the BE2012 to backup.
- Since the NAS is configured with AD on windows domain, the system does not allow me to create new name entires.
- How would I provide Read and write permission to BE service account?

Grateful if you could provide any suggestions and way forwartd.

Thanks

Vivek

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Make sure that the Backup Exec service account has local admin rights on that NAS. The Iomega NAS's allow you to add it in as a domain account.

For write permissions, if you can activate iSCSI on the NAS (you need to carve out disk space for this!), you're going to get around a lot of permissions issues, certainly when writing. Read my article below on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/u...

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Vivekr's picture

Thanks Craig.  The ReadyNAS1500 does not come with iSCSI so I am out of luch on that one.  The previous BackupExec12.5 work very well with ReadyNAS.

I may have a conflict with the acess permissions/rights.  How do I get the backup service account to have local admin rights.  As the NAS is linked with AD all the permission it receives is only from AD.

The issue I think is the Admin password is not the same for BE2012 and NAS. Even when I changed both to domain admin username it does not work.

Thanks

Vivek

pkh's picture

I have added the NAS server as a Linux server to Backup Exec.

Have you installed a RALUS licence on the media server to cover this?

It might be better not to add the entire NAS as a Linux server and just add the shares to BE using their UNC path.  Also, remember to install a RAWS licence to cover the backup of the NAS, even though you cannot load RAWS onto the NAS.

If the NAS has NDMP, turn it off since you are not backing it up using NDMP.

Vivekr's picture

Yes I agree with you. Since I could not get RALUS I have now removed the ReadyNAS1500 and added it back as a file server.

I have been tring to add it through the UNC path; so that can can use that volume as Disk storage.  I keep getting the same error; saying

"The Backup Exec Service Account does not have read and write permission on the remote computer (which is the NAS in my case) on which the remote share is located".

Thanks - Vivek

pkh's picture

Did you add the BESA to the NAS as a local administrator with full read/write access?

CraigV's picture

@Kiran: Deleted your reply as you requested.

Thanks!

VJware's picture

If you are trying to configure the NAS as a Disk Storage, then not sure as to why you are trying to add it as a 'server' in the Backup & Restore tab...And since you are planning to use this NAS as the destination & not the source, the licensing options (RAWS or RALUS) does not apply here...

From Windows Explorer on the media server, are you able to access the share ? From the NAS web console, do you see the Backup Exec user displayed under the Account section ?

Vivekr's picture

Yes, I can and access the shares from the windows explorer from the BE2012 installed server.

I have also created a user backupexec in AD Win2003 domain which is there under write option under account section. 

Now the Backup Exec user is created automatically.  The ReadyNAS is connected through LAN in domain environment.

Thanks for your help.

CraigV's picture

Yep, you need to add it in manually. Just adding the NAS to AD doesn't automatically add in the user accounts. It does allow you to pull a user account from a list and add it in with specific permissions.

The Iomega NAS is the same, although AD integration isn't as great and it has seen them being removed from AD for the client base I used to deal with.

Thanks!