Video Screencast Help

Connecting To BE 2010 R3 from BE 2012 - Could not connect to net.tcp?

Created: 25 Jul 2012 • Updated: 02 Apr 2014 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I need to copy a number of backup jobs & policies from a BE 2010 R3 server to a BE 2012 server. However when I try to connect to the BE 2010 from BE 2012 I get an error:

Could not connect to net.tcp://backupexec2010:50104/BEMservice/serverdata. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:02.0002000. TCP error code 10061: no connection could be made because the target machine is actively refused it 10.10.0.50: 50104.

I've tried using hostname, FQDN, IP address, I've disabled Symantec Endpoint Protection, checked the BE services are running etc. Still fails!

Obviously I can't go the other way, as BE 2010 can't manager BE 2012. But can BE 2012 connect to a BE 2010 R3 server? BE 2010 R3 can connect to older versions of BE, like 12.5! Would be a real pain if we can't copy jobs/policies between BE servers!

Many thanks

Ben

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

AmolB's picture

What method you are using to copy jobs and policies from BE2010 to BE2012?

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi
BE 2012 has completely new concept of working than,past version of backupexec. It uses server centric approach were there are no more policies in BE 2012 and earlier version used to have resource centric approach so your above comment can be right it works from 2010 to BE12.5 ,but then yes it wouldn't work from 2010 to BE2012

Best way would be to migration of your database from 2010 to BE2012, which would migrate all your setting and jobs.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH180232
Thanks

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

CraigV's picture

...if this is a new server, and never an upgrade, then you won't be able to do so. Best thing would be to get copies of the Data/Catalogs folders if you need to decommission the server.

Everything done in BE 2010 R3 would have changed in BE 2012...new installation, or upgrade, it wouldn't matter. You'd end up with 1 job per server, and all policies trashed. Your media sets would carry across though.

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
Ben_Blackmore's picture

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The copy method I would have used (as per BE 12.5 > BE 2010) would have been to connect to one BE server from the other, go to job set up, then select a job/policy, right click, and select 'Copy...' then in the dialog box the pops up, select 'Copy to this media server'.

So I can't copy jobs/policies from BE 2010 > BE2012. However, can I still manage BE 2010 from the BE 2012 server? Or is that now not possible as well?

Thanks

Ben

CraigV's picture

Ben: Unless you were running a CASO environment, I don't think this is going to be possible at all. BE 2012 is fundamentally different to BE 2010 R3 and back...most notably being the GUI.

BE 2012 R2 is in Beta, but what changes are involved I don't know. I'm trying to get onto the programme.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...