Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 23, 2008 02:36 AM

Hi All,

I am constantly seeing my mail security box trying to connect out on these IP's & ports.  

216.250.24.64:443

216.250.16.32:443

What is this box trying to do? How can I turn this off?

Is it something to do with Brightmail? I am only licensed as follows:-

Antivirus Filtering   Licensed

Antivirus Content   Licensed

Antispam   Not Licensed

Thanks kindly for all your help.

• 2.  RE: Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 23, 2008 05:31 AM

Hi,

Those IPs are our rule set repository (they resolve to aztec.*.brightmail.com) which Brightmail products connect to in order to stay up to date with the latest rules..

There is a basic anti-spam ruleset that is made available to users who have not licensed for the full AS product.

--ian

• 3.  RE: Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 23, 2008 07:53 PM

anyway to stop / turn this feature off?

I also will say that I connections are being denied..

Status: A non-SYN packet was dropped because it was sent by a source that does not have an established connection with the ISA Server computer.

Rule: Source: Internal

Destination: External

Protocol: HTTPS

• 4.  RE: Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 24, 2008 07:06 AM

Hi,

There is no specific tickbox to turn this off i'm afraid.

Have a look at page 213 of the Administrators Guide, you could try disabling the SMS Conduit service (conduit.exe).

Obviously that isn't a recommended configuration but seeing as you are blocking the AS filter update at ISA anyway.....  Whether or not you start to get errors from the other components popping up is a different matter, YMMV.

HTH

--ian

• 5.  RE: Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 26, 2008 06:40 PM

I have fully outbound access on these boxes so I have no idea why I am denied a connection.

This happens with both SMSSMTP 5.01 and the latest brightmail vmware appliance.

• 6.  RE: Constant connects out to external site - Symantec mail security for smtp 5.01

Posted Oct 27, 2008 10:19 AM

Strange one but, you can see that it is ISA dropping the packet(s).

Status: A non-SYN packet was dropped becauseit was sent by a source that does not have an established connectionwith the ISA Server computer.

I saw a bunch of forum posts/articles searching on Google, albeit most of them are based on ISA running on SBS.