Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Create a Vmware image for Windows server 2003

Posted Aug 18, 2011 05:14 PM

I'd like to create a Vmware image of windows server 2003.  I'd really appreciate a guide for even attempting something similar to this.  I'm not too familiar with the product my company bought.  We have Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 which I'm having trouble working with.  Do I have to have a copy of norton ghost installed on the server I'm attempting to clone?  Can I use windows 7 to clone it with?  If you can help me out that'd be awesome!

(Also I'm sorry If I post this in the wrong area.)

• 2.  RE: Create a Vmware image for Windows server 2003

Posted Aug 19, 2011 04:09 AM

First of all, make sure that your Ghost Solution Suite installation is "liveupdated" to the current build version: 11.5.1.2266 if you plan to make any machine images. Note also that Norton Ghost is a retail product based on different technology to Ghost Solution Suite, so keep it well away from any work you are doing with GSS.

There are various ways of imaging machines with Ghost, but Ghost is not a virtualisation product. Therefore, if you are specifically looking to create a VMWare image of a working server, then you are in entirely the wrong place. Point your browser at http://www.vmware.com - they have various tools which will virtualise existing hardware builds.