Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Cygwin fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487 (its back)

Posted Jan 11, 2012 02:15 PM

Endpoint Protection v11 once had a program conflict with Cygwin documented here:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/it/forums/fatal-error-couldnt-allocate-heap-win32-error-487-base-0x8f0000-top-0x930000-reserve

And repaired in RU7 MP1:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103087&locale=en_US

The problem appears to be back in v12, I'm running 12.1.671.4971 and seeing these symptoms again from within Cygwin builds.

• 2.  RE: Cygwin fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487 (its back)

Posted Jan 20, 2012 09:35 AM

Hello,

I've just noticed similar problems like the following.

ente39@PCFX075 ~
    $ perl -e 'print "hallo\n"' ; echo $?
    hallo

ente39@PCFX075 ~
    1 [main] perl (16292) C:\programme\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x61265
    This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
    Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
    and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
    reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
    installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
    are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
    Segmentation fault

ente39@PCFX075 ~
    hallo

ente39@PCFX075 ~
    1 [main] perl (37436) C:\programme\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x61265
    This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
    Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
    and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
    reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
    installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
    are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
    Segmentation fault

As you see - every second!!! call to perl will produce the error.

Calling perl is just an example.

This error is really not reproducable - normally all works fine - but sometimes, we will get teh error.

Waiting some time and the error is gone - and all works fine!!!!

At the moment I deinstalled SEP on one machine for testing purpose.

My question is the following:

How did you detect - that SEP is the cause for your cygwin problem.

Did you instrument SEP or runing SEP in debug mode?

Did you see it in a SEP log file?

Do you have a testcase for reproduction of your error - so I can test it too?

best regards

Heiko

• 3.  RE: Cygwin fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487 (its back)

Posted Jan 20, 2012 11:24 AM

That perl issue doesn't reproduce on my machine, so it isn't clear that it is the same error.  I confirmed that SEPv12 is the issue through rolling back my machine to SEPv11, at which point the problem vanished.  Reinstalling SEPv12 caused it to return.

I don't have SEP instrumented or running in debug mode as far as I know, it is maintained by the IT dept.  Nothing related shows in any SEP log file that I'm aware of.

My issue is somewhat intermittent, the only test case I've been able to reliably reproduce it with is building a proprietary software package, so I cannot distribute it.

• 4.  RE: Cygwin fatal error - couldn't allocate heap, Win32 error 487 (its back)
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 17, 2012 10:58 AM

Cygwin 1.7.10-1 is out, and has made some changes to the forking and heap management.  Whatever they changed, it now seems to get along with SEP v12.

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2012-02/msg00008.html