Data Compression.... LTO4
I am currently running Backup Exec 2010 R3 (Rev. 5204) on a Win 2008 Server. Attached to this I have a fibre HP MSL2024 Tape library with an Ultrium 1840 LTO4 drive. Our full backup currently runs at about 5TB
Recently I've noticed our backups failing to complete over 5 LTO4 tapes. Digging further I noticed all of the LTO's only show 1:1 compression. This only appears to happen with new tapes. Using my usual routines the older sets of 5 tapes still are able to fit all the data.
I've read through various topics on here and tried all of the solutions I could see including;
Run HP L&TT compression test - This showed as passed with errors, claiming that another program was switching off compression so it had to switch it on to test.
Updated library and drive firmware
Ran L&TT compression test again - This time it passed with no errors.
Removed the device from Backup Exec and reconfigured it.
I'm still only getting 1:1 compression on new tapes.