Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Data Domain 620 and BE2012 - Question about Deduplication.

Created: 11 Jan 2013 • Updated: 11 Jan 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi there,

I already read the following link https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-2012-and-data-domain-w-ddboost but still I have some doubts.

I was hired two days ago in a company to deal with BE2012, I[m already familiar with this tool but not with dedup neither DataDomain.

I noted that BE has the Dedup Option licensed and installed, but in the DD620 the DDbost is not licensed. I was told by the guys here that the Deduplication it-s being made by the DD. But I'm not so sure about this. 

BE doens't seems to have any Dedup Folder configured, the entire DD is configured as "Disk Based Storage". 

I logged into the DD620 via Web interface and I've got the following data from the main menu:

Total Precompresiion 34.001 Gb
Total Post-compression 3.996.0 gb
Total Compression Reduction 8.5x (88%)

And as I said before, DDboost is not licensed there. 

I really think there's no Deduplication being made here and I'm not able to find some documentation relative to DD620 regarding DD, all I find is datasheets and hardware specs.

I will appreciate any guidance on this since I'm confused.

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Kiran Bandi's picture

Quoting from an EMC article: With DDBoost, parts of the deduplication process are distributed to the backup server or application clients, enabling it to send only unique segments to the DD.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/software/data-sheet/...

Without DDboost, all the data will be sent to Data domain and will be deduplicated over there (and for this no dedup license from BE is required again).

...the stats you posted suggest dedup is happening in your setup.

King_Julien's picture

So, if the data domain is doing the Deduplication, then this option is not required to be licensed and installed in the media server, right?

A second of your life, ruined for life.

teiva-boy's picture

If you want faster backups, then you want BOOST licensed, and the dedupe option from BackupExec licensed.  It wont improve dedupe rates, however it can improve speeds by about 50% or more.

BOOST/OST does a few things..

1.  Deduplication is offloaded to the BE2010/2012 server and less data is sent to the DD device, which means you can do more concurrent streams to the DD.  Thus faster backups and lower backup windows.

2.  Clients can backup directly to the datadomain device, bypassing the media server.  Again, deduplication is offloaded somewhat to the clients, and less data is sent over the wire overall.  

3.  When you have CASO, two media servers, two datadomains, boost licensed, and replication licensed...  You can backup to DataDomain 1, initiate a duplicate job to DataDomain1, and it actually controls replication within the datadomain's all from within BackupExec.  This means more streamlined administration.

However, the path of least resistance and cost is just create a CIFS/NFS share on the DataDomain, and start dumping data to it, as you are doing now.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

SOLUTION
King_Julien's picture

Thank you very much guys!! Now I understand!!

A second of your life, ruined for life.