Video Screencast Help

DataDomain Randomly filling - Not sure if NetBackup or DataDomain issue

Created: 05 Nov 2012 • Updated: 27 Jan 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Recently, I've noticed that my DataDomain seems to randomly start filling up, approaching 90%. It has historically been hovering between 73% and 79% full depending on recent cleaning and will hover in that range for weeks. But, from time to time, cleaning will only drop it down by a percent or two, and it will start climbing up into the mid to high 80's over a few days. Its like something builds and hangs there, and then will suddently release the logjam, and drop back down into the mid-70's range, OR the cleanings just stop being effecting for a while. I cant tell where the hangup is. Currently, it is building back up toward 90%. Ive surfed the catalog to see if jobs arent expiring properly, but they appear to be. Any of you seen this behavior before? I'm concerned that it will not return to normal, and I'll have to start manually expiring images.



NBU Windows 2008R2, DataDomain DD670, OS

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Nicolai's picture

Can't say that I am seeing such a behavior. What does the GUI can is "cleanable". Does this  number change from week to week ?

By the way - DDOS is now at 5.1.1 - Consider to upgrade.

Assumption is the mother of all mess ups.

If this post answered your'e qustion -  Please mark as a soloution.

teiva-boy's picture

Cleaning by default is run once a week, I believe on Tuesdays.  You could run it more often?  But don't over do it!  Perhaps twice a week, or even 3days a week during the day is usually fine.  Unless you are greater than 95% full, then i've seen folks run it daily.

I also agree to upgrade your DDOS, it solves a lot of problems and also boost the CIFS/NFS speeds by some 10-15%.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

Toddman214's picture

As I have further removed older Data from the datadomain, and gotten the % full lower, these issues have resolved. It could have been a performance issue, whereas it needed additional space to perform a proper cleaning, but since nothing I did other than continue to replicate older data to tape and expire from the DD, resolved the issue, I cannot determine why the issue resolved.