Video Screencast Help

DCOM 10016 Error

Created: 31 May 2006 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 5 comments

Recently I have started to see many DCOM errors pop up in my Event Viewer.

The error seems to be pointing to the INDEXBROKER not having Remote launch permission (which it was not explicity granted). I have since granted full control to the vault service acct for remote launch, however, journalling is still not taking place.

Has anyone encountered this error before?

Event Type:Error
Event Source:DCOM
Event Category:None
Event ID:10016
Date:5/31/2006
Time:9:39:00 AM
User:DOMAIN\*vaultservacct*
Computer:*JOURNALLINGSERVER*
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Remote Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{562FF725-C308-11D1-93DA-0000F87A3C75}
to the user DOMAIN\*vaultservacct* SID (S-1-5-21-2076772084-1888234209-63777028-948613). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Micah Wyenn 2's picture

Chad,
Do this:

Ensure the correct DCOM Settings
a) Open the Component Services Administrative tool on the vault server by Clicking Start > Run and type dcomcnfg:
b) Select Component Services | My computer, and right click for properties
1) Click the �Com Security� tab
2) Under Access Permissions, click �Edit Limits�
i) For the �"NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGIN" user, ensure that both local and remote access checkboxes are selected.
3) Under Launch and Activation Permissions, click �Edit Limits�
i) For the "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGIN" user, select all checkboxes (local, remote, local admin, and remote activation)
c) Expand the Component Services | My computer | DCOM Config
1) Right click on the AgentClientBroker, and select properties
2) Select the security tab
3) Select the �edit� button, in the �Launch and Activation Permissions� box
3) Ensure that �Local Launch� and �Remote Activation� are checked for the "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGIN" user
d) Expand the Component Services | My computer | DCOM Config
1) Right click on the �DirectoryService�, and select properties
3) Ensure that �Local Launch� and �Remote Activation� are checked for the "NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGIN" user
e) Expand the Component Services | My computer | DCOM Config
1) Right click on the �IndexBroker�, and select properties
f) Expand the Component Services | My computer | DCOM Config
1) Right click on the �StorageOnlineOpns�, and select properties

Micah Wyenn 2's picture

and then apply this regfix:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService
Value name: SkipChecks
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Radix: hex
Value: 1

micah

Kopfjager's picture

Chad,
What version and service pack of Enterprise Vault are you using. And what OS and service pack level?

This occurs often if you have recently went to SP1 for Windows2003 as this SP had many DCOM changes. If you are on 6.0 SP1 or SP2 for EV, just re-installing over the top of it will reset the DCOM permissions.

Jo Chandler's picture

Chad,

any changes been made to group policy that you are aware of we had a similar issue after a group policy change was made that inadvertantly prevented the service account from running with the correct permissions.

GeorgeM's picture

Hello,

I have the same event id on my EV server, when I try to initiate the ev services and after that when the services up then another event id 10004 appears:

"DCOM got error "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. " and was unable to logon CENTRAL\evadmin in order to run the server:"

I tried to changed the vsa password from the ev admin console but from this point and after nothing working correctly because the ev services password not updated correct...

Do you have any idea for this issue?

thanks

george 

GM