Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Decrypt of virtual drive after 10.3 installation

Posted Jan 14, 2013 05:16 AM

I have an encrypted virtual disk set up using 10.2.  It is running out of space and so I want to decrypt it, create a new larger disk and then re-encrypt both using 10.3 which I installed recently.  When I go to the tools to decrypt, the decrypt command is greyed out and so I don't seem to be able to decrypt it.

Please can someone tell me:

1.  If I create a new encrypted disk and copy the files from the old to the new can I then delete the old disk without decrypting it?

2.  Why can I not decrypt the original disk using 10.3.

I have all the appropriate pasphrases etc.

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: Decrypt of virtual drive after 10.3 installation
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 14, 2013 08:24 AM

Virtual Disks cannot be decrypted.  As you are seeing, it is stored as just one file that can easily be deleted (make sure it is not mounted).  If it is very large, you might want to hold down the Shift key while you right click on it and select Delete; this will bypass the Recycle Bin, while also wiping it if you have Shred While Emptying Windows Recycle Bin enabled on the Disk tab of PGP Options.  I think most people wouldn't see wiping it as necessary since it is securely encrypted.  As long as you have copied the data it contains while previously mounted, this deletion will not cause any problems.  I'm guessing that the reason for virtual disks not being unencryptable is that there is no reason for this to be needed. 

• 3.  RE: Decrypt of virtual drive after 10.3 installation

Posted Jan 15, 2013 04:29 AM

Thank you!

Excellent!

Andy

• 4.  RE: Decrypt of virtual drive after 10.3 installation

Posted Jan 15, 2013 08:35 AM

You are welcome, Andy.  If my prior response sufficiently addresses your question, please use the Mark As Solution option on it.

• 5.  RE: Decrypt of virtual drive after 10.3 installation

Posted Jan 15, 2013 09:42 AM

Ah! Yes - forgot that bit!!