Video Screencast Help

Deduplication disk storage often offline in Backup Exec 2012

Created: 14 Feb 2013 | 6 comments

In our environment, I use Backup Exec 2012 to backup VM to deduplication storage with GRT. I used SAN storage LUN as deduplication storage,

I often find deduplication storage offline. Then I need disable and enable deduplication storage to resume.  It greatly affect backup operation. 

I found that KB mention that it causes by database maintenance schedule enable at 3:00 AM by default.

The deduplication stoage was still offline even I disabled this schedule.

Do anyone know whether anyone know to solve this issue? 

I found that Symantec BECLI can monitor local disk storage only

Are there any Symantec BECLI to monitor deduplication storage? or any method to monitor deduplication storage and All Backup Exec services?

If offline, send notification to me to take action.

This issue seem to Symantec known issue.

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

Have you unpresented the LUN and then represented it to the media server?

Another test...if you have disk space available on your SAN storage, create a new LUN (doesn't have to be very big) and present this. Create a B2D and see if you get the same issue...

Does anything show up on the logs of the storage?

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

pkh's picture

I found that KB mention that it causes by database maintenance schedule enable at 3:00 AM by default.

The deduplication stoage was still offline even I disabled this schedule.

You should let the BEDB maintenance be run on a regular basis.  There are important tasks that are carried out during the maintenance.

steven_man's picture

Hi CraigV,

The deduplication storage is offline seen from Backup Exec. But the SAN storage for deduplication storage (D:\) can be accessible from windows explorer. 

i think it is related to backup exec issue.

CraigV's picture

...have you tried to remove the dedupe folder from within BE and add it back (NOT delete)? Is BE fully patched?

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

steven_man's picture

Hi CraigV,

Do you mean remove deduplication storage in storage tab in Backup Exec (backup data still keep in disk drive ) and then import back the deduplication storage?