Video Screencast Help

Default Targets disappearing from Windows Patch Remediation Settings

Created: 30 Jan 2013 • Updated: 21 Mar 2013 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am currently running SMP 7.1 SP2 and have noticed that randomly the Targets which I specify under the "The default Resource Target" used by the Software Update Policy Wizard" are disappearing.

I cannot nail down when exactly the targets are disappearing as it will happening randomly e.g It will be fine for a couple of months then one day they will all be gone.

This is causing quite a bit of trouble as I have to go back and add the Targets back into the Policy. Has anyone experienced this issue?

I am trying to figure out which table/s hold the association between the Targets I am specifying and the "Windows Patch Remediation Settings" so I can monitor the table to figure out what is causing the issue.

I am only using the Symantec Administor account to create Patch Policies and also to modify the "The default Resource Target"

 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

andykn101's picture

You may need to set the default target using the Altiris Service account ("App identity"):

"How do I change the Default Target for Software Update Policies during creation?"

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO79488

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

sarquiss's picture

Thanks for the comment Andy. I forgot to mention that the Symantec Admin Account I am using is the Service Account.

Roman Vassiljev's picture

Hi sarquiss,

Have you investigated SMP logs? Are there errors that may be related to this issue? If yes, could you please attach logs here?
If there is no error in logs, then I would recommend to create ticket to Support.

Thanks,
Roman

Joshua Rasmussen's picture

View KM: HOWTO79488, for it details the owner of the targeted filter must be the Application Identity. You may create an empty filter with those user credentials logged in and apply it to the Windows Patch Remediation Settings.

I have found that implementing under Apply to > 'Quick apply' and type in the name of the custom filter; select the dropdown arrow and it should be listed, and select 'Apply,' and Save Changes. This will apply to that 'Target' as apposed to a single computer filter.

Next, run the 'NS.Complete Resource Membership Update' SMP scheduled task and see if the filter is still present on the policy when this process is complete.

Additionally, as an added precaution; ensure that filter is no updated via ADImport or other automated filter update processes outside Altiris.

 

sarquiss's picture

Sorry I completely forgot about this thread. I ended up discovering that this is a known defect where the Resource Targets are actually being deleted if the LastAccessedDate has not been updated.

Unfortunately, support is going around in circles which is frustrating (Especially, since I pointed them to the eTrack which covers this issue :| ) but I have created my own fix for the issue.

SOLUTION
mahbu_basha2003@yahoo.com's picture

Hi Sarquiss,

Is it possible for you to share the fix which you have drived for the same.

Joshua Rasmussen's picture

Hello Sarquiss & Mahbu,

This issue will be resolved in a future release of the Patch Management Solution.

Please view the work around detailed on KM: TECH204204.

Rick D's picture

 

Joshua,

I was also having this issue ;-).  I followed the steps on TECH204204, although the steps need to be tweaked a little.  I’m no SQL expert but I ran into a problem. It states renaming the store procedure "Rename to: spGetResourceTargetsToPurge_old" but if you do this the attached script will return an error.  The stored procedure will need to be backup but not renamed.

Rick D