Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Deferring a Reboot for SEP 12.1.4 Upgrade

Posted Mar 11, 2014 06:04 PM

I'm running Server 2003 Enterprise on a networked server.  I was upgrading from 12.1.3 to 12.1.4 in an unmanaged client environment.  When I finished the install, I deferred the reboot until 2:35 A.M (I finished the install at 9:35 A.M.)  After 2 hours, the server rebooted on it's own.  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  I work in an environment where these servers provide web and database products to customers around the world and I would like to be able to apply the upgrade at any time.  Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Deferring a Reboot for SEP 12.1.4 Upgrade

Posted Mar 11, 2014 06:08 PM
    1. In the console, click Clients.

2. On the Clients page, select a group, and then click Policies.

3. On the Policies tab, click General Settings.

4. In the General Settings dialog box, on the Restart Settings tab, select the restart method and schedule.

Some restart options apply only to Windows clients. For details, see the context-sensitive help.

You can also add a notification that appears on the client computer before the restart occurs.

5. Click OK.

Verify this is set

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80830

• 3.  RE: Deferring a Reboot for SEP 12.1.4 Upgrade

Posted Mar 11, 2014 06:25 PM

I'm using the Unmanaged SEP, so I don't have a management machine, nor do I have clients or groups set up.  Can you think of anything else?  Why did the software tell me it was going to defer the reboot for 17 hours, then just reboot on it's own?

• 4.  RE: Deferring a Reboot for SEP 12.1.4 Upgrade

Posted Mar 11, 2014 06:44 PM

If you open the GUI and go to Change Settings >> General tab >> Configure Reboot Options

How was this set?

• 5.  RE: Deferring a Reboot for SEP 12.1.4 Upgrade

Posted Mar 12, 2014 10:55 AM

The "Other Options" section was set to do a Hard Restart and to Restart immediately if the user is not logged in.  If I had changed those setting prior to the upgrade, it seems that would have prevented the this from happening.  Is that correct?  If so, then I see the solution, and I thank you very much.