Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:29 AM

I need to delete some clients from SEP 12.1 to free up some licenses. The systems that have SEP are off site, not in production and soon to be retired. When I go into the console and delete the clients they are gone for a bit of time but come back. Do I have to manually uninstall SEP from the client first in order to have the client removed from the SEP management console?

• 2.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:42 AM

you can delete inactive clients from console by following the steps as mentioned in the article

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175865

you can set number of days less than 30

• 3.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:49 AM

So there is no way in the SEP Management console to tell the client to stop contacting the SEP server in order to free up licenses?

• 4.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:49 AM

...record from the SEPM Console, you free up a license.  But as you've seen, when the deleted client manages to check into the SEPM again, its record returns.

You should uninstall the software from the client, or stop it from contacting the SEPM.  Perhaps even change it into an unmanaged client until it can be taken offline completely?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH104010

• 5.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Posted Feb 17, 2012 08:53 AM

...and not the Small Business Version (12.0), then in theory there's nothing stopping you from over-deploying your SEP Clients temporarily.

While you may get nagged for it, all protection technologies remain in place, active and up-to-date.

Or you can just change that client to an unmanaged client as in my earlier post

• 6.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Hi,

There is no way in the SEP Management console to tell the client to stop contacting the SEP server in order to free up licenses.

You will have to follow 2 steps to accomplish it.

1) You should uninstall the software from the client, or stop it from contacting the SEPM

2) Change inactive client settings through console so that entry will be deleted ASAP.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175865

Set number of days to 1, after 24 hours entry will be deleted from SEPM.

• 7.  RE: Delete Clients From SEP 12.1

Posted Feb 20, 2012 09:14 AM

Even when you delete them from the SEPM, they will re-populate with the next HB interval. You have to manually delete the slf files on the client using NoSLF tool or make it a unmanaged client.

or

the rough method thru SEPM

Install the extra clients as required and when SEP points out that there is a conflict, you delete the old ones, they may populate again but the licences will remain with the new ones.