Video Screencast Help

Deleting an old Exchange Database (.edb) file for Exchange 2007 using Backup Exec 12.5

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 14 Nov 2012 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I run full backups to Disk  (then duplicate to tape) every Friday night and Incrementals Sat-Thurs. I have to keep the full backups from Friday night on the disk until the next full backup. I set my retention period so that it will overwrite the next full backup so I do not run out of disk space. I do cut it close each week. I have Friday nights backup on the disk but noticed two folders dated 10/20/2012, the previous full backup. The mailbox database.edb file is almost 200 gig in one of the folders and the other has a public folder database.edb file that is almost 4 gig. The folder names start with IMG. Since I have a full backup from 10/26/2012 do I need to keep the .edb files from 10/20 still on disk? If I go into backup exec under devices, the file size for those IMG folders  shows 0 bytes. So why is it using so much space on the disk drive?

Need to free up disk space but want to make sure I delete these files properly and they don't effect my backup tonight.

Thanks for your help.

K

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

If you are happy that your data has been duplicated to tApe successfully, then erase that media within BE, & delete what is left from disk.
Might also be worth your while checking the media set properties and shorten your retention period if you are running out disk space!

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

mandj's picture

once I did the erase in BE it did remove the two folders completely. Not sure why they were still out there, with a one week retention it should over write it correct? I cant shorten it any more then a week according to symantec, the full needs to be out there until the next full so the incrementals can work. I will watch it next week and see if it deletes the files from disk like it should.

thanks for your response.

SOLUTION