Video Screencast Help

Deleting Tape Drives and robot + NBU 6.54

Created: 16 Sep 2012 • Updated: 16 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

I have two libraries namely LibA and LibB, each with five tape drives.The drives from both the libraries are zoned across 70 servers (SAN and LAN).

I want to decommission (delete) LibB and its drives from netbackup end.

Kindly let me know if there is any command to delete robot / drive entries from the EMM database which can be run on master server.

Kindly note that deleting the robot and drive entries (using tpconfig) on each server is time consuming and using the console doesn't help as it hangs after some time.

Thanks in advance ....smiley

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Marianne's picture

nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename <media-server> -machinetype media

See: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67656

Only problem is that this will ALL devices on media server.
I don't know of any nbemmcmd command that will delete selected devices only.

nbemmcmd -help

Usage:
nbemmcmd  [-addhost] [-changesetting] [-deletealldevices]
[-deletehost] [-deletemedia] [-deletemerge] [-emmname <string>]
[-emmport <unsigned integer>] [-errorsdb] [-forcemerge]
[-getemmserver] [-help] [-listhosts] [-listmedia]
[-listsettings] [-machinealias] [-releasecache]
[-renamehost] [-servercontrol] [-setemmserver]
[-updatehost]

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

SOLUTION
Titus Bandugula's picture

Hi Marianne,

Any other command which can be used on my master server to delete the drives configured on media servers.

revaroo's picture

The only command you can run on the Master server from a command prompt is the one Marianne provided.

nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename <media_server> -machinetype media

As mentioned this deletes all devices on that machine. There is no option to only delete specific devices.

The other way is to use native unix commands to remotely login from the master to the media server (assuming they are Unix OS), such as: rsh <media_server> /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/tpconfig -delete -drive <driveindex_number>

Marianne's picture

The only other way is using tpconfig.

You can call tpconfig commands on a media server with 'vmoprcmd -h <device_host>' on the master.

Extract from vmoprcmd -Q

-devconfig "tpconfig command options"
      Send device configuration commands to tpconfig.  This option is used by java.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links