Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Dell Client Manager (NS 7.0.3876)

Posted Dec 03, 2008 09:33 PM
    Hi,

Problem 1

Since installing Dell Client Manager and pushing out the agents we have had several teachers tell us that when they came to work their PC would no longer boot (but was working the day before). We found that the reason for this was that the SATA ports were all disabled in the BIOS. At first we thought the pupils may have changed the settings for a laugh. However it then happened on one of the machines which I set a BIOS password using Dell Client Manager. So that ruled out the pupils... I haven't installed any other software which accesses BIOS settings, so I can't think of anything else that may be causing the problem.

Problem 2

I am receiving approximately 30 emails per day with empty fields (See below). I have received 7 in the last 30 minutes.

quote:

To: {my email}
    Subject: Dell Client Manager: is received from

System Name:
    Alert Name:
    Resource Guid:
    Client Time of Occurence:
    Monitored Rule:
    Monitored Rule Change:
    Description:
    Current Value:
    Previous Value:

EDIT: I've just realised that 30 emails a day is wrong. Thats how many I had when I checked my email this morning... Now that the PC's have been switched on, I've had about 20 emails in the last 40 minutes...

Thank you in advance
    Daniel

• 2.  RE: Dell Client Manager (NS 7.0.3876)

Posted Dec 04, 2008 01:02 AM
    Have you configured the Dell Client Manager solution at all? Meaning, there are BIOS and hardware profile related settings that are affected or controlled by using the DCM. This doesn't sound normal, but I don't have a DCM v7 install to test.

The other error is caused by a what used to be called a notification policy (I forget what the new name is). You can simply disable it, or find out what task or policy is feeding it information (it sounds like an inventory policy). It looks like machines that have not run a particular policy.

I agree that these issues are concerning, but I don't know what you have or have not configured either.

You can see there have been other discussions:

http://forums.altiris.com/mess...id=53694&enterthread=y

and

http://forums.altiris.com/mess...id=53630&enterthread=y

where the issues were lack of configuration, and perhaps misunderstanding of how to configure the DCM.

Don't forget to follow up by reading all the docs: http://www.delltechcenter.com/page/Dell+Client+Manager

• 3.  RE: Dell Client Manager (NS 7.0.3876)

Posted Dec 04, 2008 11:57 PM
    Thank you for the reply.

I had a look at the links you posted, and I beleive I have done everything they say I need to do. However I have found the reason for the email being blank and it suggests that there is something I have missed. I have set up the Dell Client Monitoring Policy using the job/task that was selected allready (Email Automated Action for Dell Client Manager Alert). If I press edit input parameters, I get a list of the parameters with a drop down box for each containing "[Select Field]" and "[Custom]". There are no fields in the list for me to select... so I can't tell it where to get it's information from... I'm guessing that I've missed a database related setting somewhere. All I did for the database was provide connection details when installing the software.

Thanks

Daniel

• 4.  RE: Dell Client Manager (NS 7.0.3876)

Posted Dec 05, 2008 12:37 AM
    I had it set to use the application credentials for the database. I have now set it to use an SQL login and I am able to see the fields. I will have to wait now for another email to see what is causing the problem.

I will update you as soon as I can.

Thank you

Daniel

• 5.  RE: Dell Client Manager (NS 7.0.3876)

Posted Dec 09, 2008 08:44 PM
    The emails are working fine now. Thanks for the help.

Still haven't solved the BIOS settings problem though...

Thanks

Daniel