Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Dell D4310 GhostBoot issue

Posted Mar 24, 2011 03:41 PM

We have new laptops in and I wanted to create another network boot package using the symantec ghost boot wizard.  I checked the laptop and it indicated that the ethernet card was a intel82577LM.  i come to find out that the dos file was e1000.dos.  I loaded that tried it on the computer system.  But it failed to load the driver and stops.

I went all over google and here and some indicated to use a different boot but when i go to the site, it's either down or does not exist anymore.  Also some indicated updating to another patch.  But I am not sure that is going to resolve the issue since, also some forums in here indicated that no upgrade is needed etc.

any insight would be great, thanks.

• 2.  RE: Dell D4310 GhostBoot issue

Posted Mar 24, 2011 04:19 PM

Can we start by asking what version of Ghost you are using?

If these "new" laptops are current production machines, then they will have SATA hard disks fitted. PCDOS, which you are clearly trying to use, has no native access capability for SATA drives, so you will either need to ensure that your bios is configured to "compatibility mode" so that the drive emulates the older IDE interface, or you will need to change your boot environment to WinPE - which is available in Ghost 2.5 but not in older versions of Ghost.

Modern hardware is increasingly incompatible with the DOS environment, so it makes sense to get a WinPE boot environment up and running now, to save yourself hassle in the future.

Meanwhile, search this forum on 82577 in case other users have had a similar issue and have received guidance on driver sources.