Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Dell GX620 and DeployAnywhere 7.1 problem

Posted Apr 12, 2011 09:46 AM

Hi all,
    I'm using Deployment Solution 7.1 to capture an hardware independant Windows XP master then to deploy it onto various hardwares.

The process I use to capture:
    . prepare for image capture
    . create deployment image (ghost)
    . reboot to production

The process I use to deploy:
    . reboot to WinPE
    . deploy image (using DeployAnywhere 7.1 and "Generate Sysprep configuration file using inventory data" option)
    . Restart to production
    . Apply System configuration

I have no error with capture but two with deployment:
    - on every hardware (with the exception of the one of the master), audio and video drivers are not correctly installed.
    => do you know the format drivers have to respect to be integrable in DriversDB?

- the main problem is for Dell Optiplex GX620 which, after the reboot following the Apply System Configuration task, freeze on Windows XP Splashscreen (every new reboot also fails). Then I have no other solution than restoring a back-up image.

Has anybody met such problem (on this hardware specifically or on another one)?

Regards

• 2.  RE: Dell GX620 and DeployAnywhere 7.1 problem

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Apr 12, 2011 10:29 AM

I know the Optiplex's we have use a sound driver (Soundmax integrated audio) that if you download it from Dell's site includes an executable and deployanywhere doesn't know how to handle drivers that include executable installs.  I think it may stop us from using altiris as a hardware independent solution because it effects every desktop we have.  I have a ticket with support on it.  I haven't tested with XP though, only win7

• 3.  RE: Dell GX620 and DeployAnywhere 7.1 problem

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2011 02:06 AM

SRO,

As Sally mentioned above the DeployAnywhere can not import the drivers which are in the exe or msi format , this is a limitation ritght now.

To add these drivers you can have the extracted drivers with you , wherein the extracted folder has all drivers files i.e. INF , SYS , CAT , DLL ; Addition of these drivers should work fine ;

Can you let us know by not selecting Apply system configuration task , if the target machin is up and running without any issue and applied all the drivers which are matching and present in the driver DB ; so that we will find if the problem is with DeployAnywhere or Apply System Configuration task.

Also can you share the driver which you have added in to the driver DB