Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted May 10, 2010 03:45 PM
    Any one have any luck finding a driver that works with Vista Pe for this server?

• 2.  RE: Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted May 11, 2010 01:08 PM

Did your machine come with a working operating system installed? Do you still have the operating system running with a valid driver?  What operating system is it?
    Have you tried the DELL site?
    Have you tried the Broadcom site?

• 3.  RE: Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted May 11, 2010 03:37 PM

Did your machine come with a working operating system installed?
    No we will be installing a ghosted image made on the same server and ghosted using PCdos boot disk to a usb drive. This is a good work around but  an unacceptable solution as we have upwards of 3,000+ servers to image.

What operating system is it?
    The OS will be 2003 server but I'm not sure why a Vista pe boot enviorment  would be concerned with the OS being applied to the Dell 610?

Have you tried the DELL site?
    I have been in contact with Dell engineers they have no plans to support the Vista os on the power edge R610.

Have you tried the Broadcom site?
    I have been to the broad come site and downloaded the driver they say is vista compatible with the  Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE card installed on the server. they have about 8 difrent links for the diffrent OS's but the all point back to the same driver for windows 2003/2008 server. None of them work. I have contacted broadcome to se if this is an error.

• 4.  RE: Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted May 11, 2010 04:09 PM
    The reason I asked about whether you had any sort of operating system installed on these machines is that with a fully configured manufacturer's O/S installed, you could pull out the plug and play IDs for all your devices including the NIC using the code in:
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/utility-assist-identifying-plug-and-play-drivers

Once you have the PNP ID, you can find out whether the INF file associated with any drivers you obtain, actually supports the PNP ID in your equipment.  You would require the 32 bit driver for the WinPE version used by GSS, even if your operating system installation is the 64 bit version of Windows 2003 server.

If DELL are not offering a Vista driver, I would be inclined to try any available 32 bit driver from XP onwards. 

Out of interest, how do you intend to image your 3000+ servers?  Using a push method or using PXE boot?

• 5.  RE: Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted May 13, 2010 01:18 PM
    Thanks I will try that bit of code. It is 3000+ servers in groups of 5 so it will take a while and I guess you can say we are pulling the image using a boot disk set up with DHCP.

• 6.  RE: Dell Power Edge 610 with Broadcom NetXtreme II GigE

Posted Jun 22, 2010 06:18 PM
    Hi Vince,

I think the document in the link given below has the link to the location for this driver download.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/1319a1fce3c4b4b288257496005c43ff?OpenDocument

Hope this helps.