Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

• 1.  Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 13, 2009 07:42 AM

Hi there,

I am trying to ghost a Dell Optiplex 745 using a console task with deploy anywhere enabled. I am getting a driver error:

A cancel has been requested.

Missing drivers detected:

Device type  : Storage Device
    PCI ID       : PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_01DA1028&REV_02
    Description : Device Description Unavailable

The device mentioned in the error is:

Chip Number: 82801HB/HR/HH/HO
    Chip Description: SATA IDE Controller:4 port
    Notes: Driver:intelide

(from a PCI Database website)

I have manually added the driver for this device using the ghost boot wizard. The driver is definitely correct as the INF file contains the correct PCI identifier information for the device.

The error is appearing during the Deploy Anywhere stage of the task after the Evaluation Stage has completed.

I am really at a loss of how to fix this! I have made sure that I am using the correct WinPE version which I have added the drivers to.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Andy Rodger

• 2.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 13, 2009 09:20 AM

When you added these to the GBW did you select the OS that is being retargeted?  It is possible that if the drivers that you downloaded are right and are for the correct OS but if in the GBW the OS on your retarget machine wasn't selected it would still fail on the retarget.

Hope this helps,  What OS are your retargeting?  Also have you applied all of the live up dates available for the console?

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• 3.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 13, 2009 09:36 AM

Bob,

I am retargeting Windows XP and I have selected that OS in GBW.

I am running Ghost Console version 11.5.0.2113. Liveupdate says there are no more updates available for my system.

Thanks for the reply,

Andy

• 4.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 13, 2009 06:01 PM

Just wondering, but what version is your Ghost Explorer? If it is also 2113 that will be your problem.

Anyway I use Dell 745's and never had a problem with them. Might I ask if you have a USB HDD or something hooked up? Any storage media that did not come with the PC? Did you change any BIOS settings?

• 5.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 16, 2009 04:30 AM

Cobra,

Ghost Explorer is version 11.5.0.2165

I don't have any odd hardware in the 745. I'm just using an 80GB SATA Hard Drive attached to one of the on board SATA Ports. I will try setting all the BIOS settings to default and see if that works.

• 6.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 17, 2009 03:19 AM

Hi Andy,

This is the chipset driver for Intel AHCI/RAID systems. In what type of a machine did you create the original image?

I'm not sure if the default BIOS setting for SATA is AHCI or compatible in 745, could you try changing it from AHCI?

Krish

• 7.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 17, 2009 04:46 AM

Hiya Krish,

The original image was created on a Dell Optiplex 760. Do the chipset drivers for the machine that I am deploying the image to need to be in the image?

The Dell 745 doesn't have AHCI.

Andy

• 8.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 17, 2009 11:34 AM

Did you add the drivers to the c:\Windows\inf (or whatever) folder? Did you use Sysprep to make the image?

• 9.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 17, 2009 12:44 PM

Cobra7,

The drivers exist within the image but were added to the Windows Installation source using nlite.

I did not use sysprep to make the image.

• 10.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 18, 2009 04:02 AM

Hi Andy,

This issue came up couple of times in the forum, but despite many attempts, I could not re-produce the issue here. It looks like the problem is related to source/destination machines and the Windows version. So I only have more questions than answers.

Dell 745 has SATA mode Normal and Legacy. Could you try using Legacy?

The inf file for this driver (at least what I found) was ICH8IDE.inf. Driver type is hdc. From what I could get from Intel downloads, these drivers are included in chipset drivers which needs to be installed after booting to OS rather than before. 

What is the chipset in your source machine (dell 760)? Do you have a download location for the 82801 driver?

Krish

• 11.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 18, 2009 06:57 AM

Krish,

Not a problem. I really want to get this working so I am willing to go through as many troubleshooting steps that are required.

I will try using legacy and see what happens.

The chipset in the source machine is an Intel ICH10.

I downloaded the 82801 driver from Dell Support. I had to manually extract the files from the installshield cabinets. I did use the correct file though (ich8ide.inf). I also opened the file in notepad to make sure it contained the correct information and it did.

Thanks for your help

Andy

• 12.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 18, 2009 09:28 AM

Krish,

I tested it out with legacy mode enabled. The task ran through but when windows attempted to boot then it blue screened. I tried booting in safe mode but when it reached Mup.sys then it also blue screened.

Andy

• 13.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 18, 2009 07:05 PM

Hi Andy,

I'm trying to find some more details; in the mean time could you check,

• You said that this happens just after evaluation. This means, Console did not find the driver for some reason. To double check that, could you check if there is a folder C:\DDB in the client machine after task fails? If so, what drivers are there?
    • Could you check the task log and see what drivers it had requested from Console? It is in the step details.

It looks like there is no generic IDE driver. Do you use XPSP3?

Krish

• 14.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 19, 2009 04:47 PM

Krish I have solved the issue.

I made the image using an nlite Windows XP SP3 Installation. I did not integrate any drivers. I then installed the drivers for the source machine using their respected exes.

I then copied the inf files for intel chipsets onto a folder in the C: drive of the source machine.

Then I ran the following utility to add the drivers to the sysprep registry entries.

http://www.vernalex.com/tools/spdrvscn/

Then I ran an image create task and used sysprep.

The image will now deploy correctly to the Optiplex 745.

Thanks for your time.

Andy

• 15.  RE: Deploy Anywhere and Optiplex 745 Driver Issues

Posted Mar 20, 2009 03:43 AM

Hi Andy,

Good to hear that the issue is resolved. We think that just coping the inf files to the inf folder could have worked too. Thanks for the information provided, I'm trying to get some similar hardware to reproduce it here so that we can investigate it. Our target is to get DA going without making any preparations to the source machine :-)

Krish