Video Screencast Help

Deploying Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance

Created: 18 Nov 2012 • Updated: 19 Nov 2012 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

Do I need to deploy Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1.2_Security_Virtual_Appliance_ML.ova for every single ESX host or just one for all ESX host managed by one VCenter ?

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

You must install a Security Virtual Appliance on each ESXi host if you want the GVMs on the host to use vShield-enabled Shared Insight Cache.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi John,

Did you check help topic?

You will find this info.

A Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance is a Linux-based virtual appliance that you install on a VMware ESX/ESXi server. Symantec Endpoint Protection Security Virtual Appliance integrates with VMware's vShield Endpoint and hosts the Symantec Endpoint Protection Shared Insight Cache server.

Shared Insight Cache lets Guest Virtual Machines (GVMs) share scan results so that identical files need to be scanned only once across all GVMs on the ESX/ESXi host. Shared Insight Cache improves performance of full scans by reducing disk I/O and CPU usage

Chetan Savade
Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

John Santana's picture

Cool,

Many thanks for the assistance people, so in this case after you install it on every ESX host, then you'll need to uninstall SEP client on every Windows Server for agentless scanning ?

is that correct ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

.Brian's picture

It's just a SIC so than you need to point the clients to use it. You still need the SEP client. The Admin guide explains it all. Chapter 29 starting on page 667.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
John Santana's picture

Cool, many thanks Brian

Does this appliance also manage the SAVFL or Linux agent as well ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

.Brian's picture

No, it will not managed Linux clients, those are still separate.

John Santana's picture

thanks all,

So I guess in this case the SEP client will still needs to be installed in all of the VMware Guest OS ?

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

.Brian's picture

Yes, you're correct.

John Santana's picture

I'd thoght so.. :-|

thanks for the advice and suggestion.

Cheers. 

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional