Video Screencast Help
Protect Your POS Environment Against Retail Data Breaches. Learn More.

Differential backup schedule (BE 2012)

Created: 27 Jan 2014 • Updated: 27 Jan 2014 | 7 comments

Hi,

- Refer to attached schedule (1401271659511c7621261a00de.jpg), am I need to change tapes on after Sat backup completed ??

- If I want to keep the schedule but want to change tape on every Mon, then the differntial reference must be Full backup of 3 weeks before ??

(140127103532b6e65fd6f524b5.jpg)

Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

No...if you have a library you can change tapes when you want. I used to run FULL backups daily when I looked after our major client and the site reps changed tapes every MOnday.

Or you can do so every day, whatever you prefer.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

William Lawance's picture

Hi CraigV,

I know I can change tapes anytime.

Just want to know if use my schedule, when need to change tapes for better backup schedule.

CraigV's picture

Well, you would ideally want to run your FULL backup over a weekend when you have less network traffic, less people on the network, and more time to run a larger backup. So changing tapes the on the day that the new backup set is due to run is fine.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

Is Full backup tape needed for differential backup reference ??

Or diff. backup reference Backup Exec DB only ??

pkh's picture

A full backup is always needed before you can do a differential backup. Do read the backup method section of the Admin Guide.

Hi pkh,

I know full backup is needed for differential backup.

Just confusing is full backup tape is needed in tape drive for differential backup.

Since our schedule is Full backup on Sunday and we will change ALL tapes on Monday.

Thus after changed, the Full backup tape in tape drive is not the day before (should be 2-3 weeks ago).

pkh's picture

Just confusing is full backup tape is needed in tape drive for differential backup.

What makes you think so?

Since our schedule is Full backup on Sunday and we will change ALL tapes on Monday.

Why?  You should be changing the tapes BEFORE the full backup during the weekend and not after so that your backup chain would be together.  What happens when you need to do a restore?  The tape with your full backup would be missing.