Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Disable Daylight saving time in SIM 4.7.4

Created: 05 Dec 2011 | 4 comments

I have Symantec Security Information Manager v 4.7.4 server installed, and I need to provide actual time for gathered events, so it's nessesary to synchronize my SIM server with NTP server.

Therefore, it's probably you know that we have a problem with NTP in Russia, cause daylight saving time is not maintained in Russia anymore, and synchronized time is not actual after.

I know, that Patch 2 for 4.7.4 must solve this issue, but I want to know is there some special way to install it on currently worked SIM.

Is it nessesary to disable NTP synchronization during patch 2 installation?

Do I need to make some additional settings on SIM server after patch 2 installaltion?

Or SIM server with patch 2 installed must to disable daylight saving time if I shoosed some of Russian time zones on location page durind SIM instalaltion?

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Aberez's picture

Today I installed Patch 2 on my 4.7.4, and configure NTP time synchronization (time zone is Europe/Moscow Moscow+00 - west Russia). After rebooting the server I have not actual time in Web interface on SIM server, the time was moved back one hour...

On page 12 of Release notes doc for patch 2 says:

Daylight saving time is not maintained in Russia anymore. The Information
Manager modules are likewise updated to support the same.

Can anyone let me know please, if I need to do some additional settings to disable daylight saving time on SIM server?

Tks in advance.

olaf's picture

Please follow the following KB:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173344

As you are on Patch2 you will have to follow it from point 2 onwards.

The tzdata rpm is already installed with Patch2.

Aberez's picture

Today I reinstalled my server and updated timezone information followed http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH173344, without Patch 2 installation, and the time become actual, thank you!

But Patch 2 will not install tzdata-2011l-4.el4.noarch.rpm on step 1(!). You can check it with rpm -qa command.

Aberez's picture

Thanks for the answer,

I followed that  steps from point 2, the time in SIM Web interface become actual, but time in the gathered events from onbox collectors  still not..

I also updated timezone in the agent installed on SIM server, restarted the agent, and on SIM Client machine - unsuccessfully.

can cause what else?