Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:49 AM

I'm trying to prepare for disaster recovery for my sepm 11.0.5.
    Have read theese articles;
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007082112135948
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/disaster-recovery-embedded-database

I have created a backup.txt with the necessary information except encryption password.
    Is it the password to sepm?

Then I have a backup job in sepm every week that saves a .zip file off-site.
    In the video about disaster recovery there isn't mention anything about a backup file. How do I restore the .zip file. Do I have to backup the db folder also?

• 2.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 08, 2010 09:54 AM
    encryption password is not your SEPM password
    when installing sepm, if you select advanced it will ask for encryption password
    if you did not select that; then its the first password what you put in during the installation
    here is the document to take backup

How to schedule Backups For SQL or an Embedded database in Symantec Endpoint Protection

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2007110615075848

• 3.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 08, 2010 10:25 AM
    Encryption password is mostly same as SEPM password that you gave while SEPM install.

Once you re-install SEPM then go to Start-all programs -SEPM -backup and restore wizard.
    and click restore before that you can keep the .zip file in the backup folder of SEPM

This is Keystore password

in Program Files\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Server Private key backup

you have jks file and corresponding XML file
    Open the XML file and you will find the keystore password something like
    keystorePass="7j$NEl3Uq96dZ98M" 

• 4.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

• 5.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 09, 2010 01:57 AM
    How do I restore the .zip file

This procedure also present in the KB article which you mentioned.From that KB Article
    In the Services window, right-click Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, and then click Stop.
    Note: Do not close the Services window until you are finished with this procedure.
    Create the following directory:
    \\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\backup

Copy your database backup file to the directory.(This is that zip file)
    Note: By default, the database backup file is named date_timestamp.zip.
    Click Start> Programs> Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager> Database Back Up and Restore.
    In the Database Back Up and Restore dialog box, click Restore.
    In the Restore Site dialog box, select the backup file that you copied to the backup directory, and then click OK.
    Note: The database restoration time varies and depends on the size of your database.
    When the Message prompt appears, click OK.
    Click Exit.

Encryption password is the same first password of the console if you selected the option simple while configuring SEPM.If you used advanced option you may given a different one.This password is required only when you do not having a database back up and you need to reestablish the connection with clients.

• 6.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 09, 2010 02:42 AM

Ok, I just set the sepm password during the installation.
    The backup schedule isn't the problem. It's how to restore the backuped up zip file.

Thanks.

• 7.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 09, 2010 03:53 AM

Thanks!

• 8.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 09, 2010 05:12 AM
    Yes, but that video doesn't show how to restore the backup.

Do I have to save the keystore.jks file somewhere before I start the server?

• 9.  RE: Disaster recovery for sepm 11.0.5

Posted Apr 09, 2010 06:31 AM
    Both that kb and video shows two different ways of disaster recovery.In video  copying db folder back is database restore ..